Does the bad stuff in tap water evaporate with the water?

Solarfall

Totally Gnar
I've only had my RO for a little over a month, and by my calculations I still have around a month longer till I have no tap water left.

Question is, is evaporation helping or hurting me to get to that point?
If it does evaporate, then that means my top-offs are speeding up the process. If not....well you get it.

Anyone know?

The bad stuff does not evaporate out of the tank with the water, however it does weaken over time and dissipate. You water changes help greatly with this problem. It take several water changes to get the bad stuff out of there. The RODI unit just assures that you aren't putting "bad" stuff back in there with water changes and top offs.

I work for a water municipality and I know what goes in there. Heavy metals and excessive nutrients dont evaporate out but as mentioned above PWC`s will help. Kudo`s for making the move to cleaner water.

Water changes are the only effective way to remove heavy metals IMO. Evaporation leaves salt, and everything else besides H2O behind.

Yeah I know water changes are important and I'm switching 5 gallons out every other day until it's actually pure (according to my calculations anyway). I was just curious about whether or not my top offs were actually speeding this process up. Guess not :(

On a side note my nitrates were a whopping 40 ppm (doing 10 gallon changes weekly with 2 fish) when I tested before using my first change with RO. Now they're usually around 2-3 ppm with 3 corals and 2 much bigger fish (I gave my royal gramma and clown away).

Back