Don't trust that the RO/DI you buy is good

mbliss81

Reefing newb
I just thought I would post this as a little warning for anyone that might be helped by it.

I have been keeping a reef tank for almost 2 years now. I started in Feb 2011 with a 16 gal bow front tank, and 6 months later upgraded to a 38 gallon tank.

I have been using RO/DI water from my local grocery store for the past year, and from my lfs before that. I just bought a TDS meter today, and tested the water I get from the store and it is not 0 ppm, as it should be, but 54 ppm.

I'm sure glad I ordered a 4 stage RO/DI system from BulkReefSupply that will be here Friday.

Just a heads up. Know what you are putting in your tank.

Happy reefing. :Cheers:

Are you sure it was ro/di and not just RO? I think drinking water is a little less pure then aquarium water because sometimes it has minerals added for taste.

I was told to go for distilled water if I buy it.

Ro water isnt going to be 0 but it is better then tap. rodi is the best, distilled or ro second best. After that I wouldnt even go there...

I've always avoided distilled water because most distillers use copper tubes to condense the water vapor, and that comes with the risk of having traces of copper getting into the system. I don't know if this is a real risk or not, but I never wanted to find out.

I was just filling up jugs from the RO water machine at the store. Not absolutely certain it is DI. It has about 1/4 the TDS of my tap water, but I still found it disappointing. I'm almost curious enough to get some water from my LFS and test it too. But my RO/DI unit arrives tomorrow, so I'll finally be able to ensure that nothing unwanted gets into my tank any more.

In the end, you really don't know what type of water you are getting. Hence when possible, best to make your own so you have more control over it.

What does everyone do with the 'waste' water from an RO unit?

In my setup, I collect the wastewater in buckets to water my potted plants.
When the buckets are full I set the wastewater line on the lawn to water the grass.
If the plants/grass don't need watering, the wastewater goes to my swimming pool.

You can use the wastewater for pretty much anything that does not require pristine water.

Back