dragonet for a 10 gallon?

Satyr

Reefing newb
iv been researching nano sized fish i can put in the 10 gallon im wanting to get. i had just about decided on an oscalrous (sp?) clown and a red scooter blenny but after reading a thread on here abut how aggressive clowns are iv pretty much decided anything that cute and that mean is just a brat and doesnt really deserve the love and attention i will give it :D so after looking around at some more options on live aquaria iv decided i really like a few of the dragonets they have. but id like some input first to make sure im not getting a monster. here's a link to that page.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+1635

i love the red scooters but they stay on the bottom and dont seem like a good center piece fish to me.. though i am still interested. the green mandarin looks amazing too. what do you guys know about those? and as far as tank compatibility goes im wanting corals and shrimp so preferably a fish that gets along nicely with them would make the grade for me. and also feel free to suggest any other fish yall might think id be interested in. if its a fish that has to be by itself thats fine so long as it pretty and swims a lot :mrgreen: and clowns dont count.

none of these fish will do good in a small 10 gal tank they need live food and many times will only eat live food that breads in a large tank. unless you can get one that is eating frozen food you are going to just kill them.

im checking out that link right now, thanks. i would get a bigger tank but its a matter of space and money.. im a "poor college" lol. i already have 4 freshwater tanks not including 2 betta bowls and i just dont have the extra money or floorspace for something much bigger. let me check out that link and get back with you.

ok so i like the two spot goby and the orange stripe prawn goby. especially the orange stripe. what can you tell me about those? also, i was talking to the owner of a pet store and he said that a yellow watchman goby might not be good for my tank as they get to 5" and can tumble rocks down while rearranging things and cause the glass to shatter. this of course, sounds ridiculous, but then again i didnt believe what i heard about peacock mantis shrimp either. ever heard of watchmen doing that?

a twinspot can be difficult also but if you add pods to the tank often they will do ok. as for the watchmans goby i have heard that also but if you put the rock on the sand and move it around so that it is sitting on the glass and not the sand then it will be more stable. or you can epoxy the rocks together so they dont move. i myself have never had problems with rocks falling and i just have all mine just sitting on each other. check out my build thread and you can see how i have it done. i started this one after my 50 gal tank cracked on the top.

https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/tank-showcase/14455-daughertys-75-a.html

just look at the side box that tells about the fish and try and stay with fish that say easy for their care level. that will help to inshure that you pick fish that are easy to care for some fish require lots of attention to the tank to keep them alive.

Twinspots are very difficult to keep alive and have the same diet requirements as mandarins (will usually only take live foods, and thus require a large tank).

How about a clown goby?

Some clowns are less aggressive than others. You could research other types if you really wanted clowns.

the last day or so iv been thinking about clowns. im starting to really want one. i know a tomato or maroon wolnt fit in a 10g. i really like the look of the ocellaris and false perculas. do they stay small enough for me? iv been told they do but id like a second opinion. to go with that, can a pair be kept in a 10g? searching the forum i just found a reference to a "misbar" clown. is it just a color variation or are there significant differences between it and regular ocellaris i should know about were i to get one?

A misbar is basically the same fish as ocellaris-percular.Anyone of those three or a black/white clown make good candidates for a nano.

the word pair means they are just that, a pair. so yes a pair of clowns will live together peacefully but to give you an even bigger chance of peacefulness you should go the mated pair route with clowns, especially if it is maroon or gold striped maroon clown fish. if you do get a gold striped maroon or a maroon clown you can either get just one or you have to get a mated pair, otherwise the bigger of the two will be the only survivor

im looking at ocellaris and false percula. what do they do that lets me know they are mated a pair? kinda wanted to get a small one, so will they mate when they are young? i ask cause i really like raising fish from babies, its more personal that way. that and baby clowns are really cute.

To be clear,a nano is too small for maroon clownfishes,they do grow upwards of six inches.

Your best bet is buy them as a mated pair but it's highly unlikely you will find a mated pair sold locally.You can get two juveniles,one a little larger than the other and hope for the best.The larger becomes the female,the smaller stays male.

***disclaimer-there are no guarantee in life***

ill just get one. and ya i figured maroons were too big. ocellaris is the main ones im looking at. thanks for the info.

Back