Drainage pipe restriction

badmeowth

Reefing newb
I just ran my system/sump setup for the first time last night. However, I noticed the water level in the return area decreased a significant amount overnight. I was thinking my drainage pipe went too far down into the sump, way below the water level (left pic). Does this cause too much backflow? I looked at my 1.5" drainage bulkhead and noticed the water level inside the box is half full, which seems like a lot. My return pump is only a Mag 5, so I know its not too powerful. Should I cut/trim the bottom of the drainage pipe so that it ends above the water level (right pic)? Perhaps this may eliminate any backflow, while creating more noise. Thankfully, I have a union that allows me to disconnect the drainage pipe halfway down.

sump.jpg

Not sure I follow you. The tank is drilled in the back and there are overflow boxes built onto the back?
When you say less water in the return area, do you mean the sump? If so, that's because water evaoprates and the level always stays the same in the tank....so you see less in the sump.

Keep the returns underwater. It won't cause any significant back pressure.

yes, the tank is drilled for drainage on the back pane with an overflow box. The pic only shows the drainage pipes, I didn't draw the return pump or return piping to keep it simple.

Capt is right, evaporation will only be seen in the return section of the sump. Your display tank and other sections of the sump will stay at the same water level.

Is the water level in your tank still the same as before? If so, this is evaporation happening. If the water level in your tank is higher than normal, then water is being stockpiled in the tank and the sump is being drained.

Your return section of the sump maybe too small.You have evaporation going on so changing the pipe won't change that.You get really less splashing and gurgle keeping the pipe underwater.

Back