Drilling a glass tank.

Fastlight

Semper FI
I would like to drill my tank. Is there any way to know if the sides of the tank are not tempered? I know the bottom pane is and i cant drill it. I want to drill the top of the back anyways. My basic question is what kind of flow rate would i get with a 3/4" drain and a 3/4" return? Im looking at close to a 10x+ filter turn over rate with this pump. http://www.petmountain.com/product/water-pumps/500549/mag-drive-9.5-950gph.html Even with a 4'head im at 900gph which would give me a 12x rate. So with a 3/4 drain and return wil that be sufficent. I chose 3/4 because that is the out let on the pump. I would really like to drill my tank because i can see it from 3 sides and i really think it would clean up the look. Im thinking that 3/4 is to small for a drain, so i was thinking 2 3/4 drains but i didnt know then if id be draining faster than my pump could return???? Any help?

Also what kinda pipe and pipe glue do you use? looks to me like its the normal sc40 white stuff with regular old pipe cleaner and glue?

Last edited:
as far as i know the back and sides are never tempered but the bottom is and it usually has a sticker that says it is tempered

yote so how about two 3/4 in drains and a 3/4 return? this way i dont have to buy 2 drill bits. And Daugherty the bottom does have a sticker that is why i was worried about the side. I went to the local hardware store and they dont have bulkheads or diamond glass hole saws so i will have to order this stuff online. I called 2 other stores and they dont either. Thats why it would be easier for me to drill 3 3/4 holes instead of 1 3/4 and 1 1.5" hole.

Also for the bulkhead there are there kind...slip/slip fitp/slip and fitp/fitp i googled fitp and im not getting anything..is slip like a non thread and fitp a thread???

Last edited:
Apparently tempered and non tempered glass look different through polarized sun glasses. Try that out. (I've never done it).

Yep the tempered will look like it has dark circles in it. You can look at a side window in your car with the same glasses and it will look very similar.

I have no idea how 2 3/4 drains will work.You'll want the drains to be able to handle the return flow to keep from pumping the sump dry.
Personally,I'd go the tryed and true 1 1/2".You dont to end up having to redrill the same drains.JMO

ally,I'd go the tryed and true 1 1/2".You dont to end up having to redrill the same drains.JMO

+ 1

I agree with yote. I think you should go with the 1 1/2 holes for drains. Standard Reef Ready tanks have 1" holes for drains and some say that can be a little limiting. A 1" drain will drain a max. of about 600 gph.

Back