Dry Live Rock

Axegod

Axegod
Hello,

I purchased a used tank and a bunch of other items a while ago. After doing more research for my upcoming fish/coral tank I can see that I should have inquired about the dry live rock to see if copper was ever used in his sytem to treat his puffer fish or if he infact used RODI water or just water "conditioner". (note it was a FOWLR system) :frustrat: I cannot get ahold of the seller - so does anyone have ideas on how I can test the rock? My theory was to take a some of it, soak it RODI water for a week or two, and then do a copper test - does this sound reasonable? Is this enought time to let it soak to see if there is any copper leaching into the water? Should I take small test chunks off the rock and smash with a hammer to pulverize it before soaking?

There is close to 100lbs, so I want to be sure before using it and do not want to get rid of it too quickly. I know the safest thing to do it is to not use it, but wanted to ask the experts.

Cheers

sounds good but you can do a soak and scrub in tap water and follow that up with ro/di as for as testing for copper if you are on city water there is a acceptable amount of copper in drinking water so keep that in mind

Back