New user.

Lee-marine-noob

Reefing newb
Hi, new here and new to MARINE aquarium.

I have a nano tropical tank and had larger tropical tanks in the past.

I bought a 200 litre (UK IMPERIAL) tank and after some thought decided on Marine....
I have had tropical for a while and wanted to progress, which I am told is the natural thing to do as an "aquarist".

Well.... I bought "live" rock, sand and tropic marin salt, a refractometer, extra heaters, a filter etc. I am soon to buy an external filter 1620 LPH with the UV option. I am also eventually going into corals... so need the usual gear....

The tank has been cycling for around 4 weeks, I have Fijian live rock (5KG) and some man-made reef saver "live" rock, which I am told should be good in time. In all around 20-22KG, as I like the minimal look. But still want the benefits.

I have done a 15% water change and another will be done next week.

I have tested using the salifert test kits.
Results.
Nitrate 100ppm
Ammonia 0.15ppm
High Range PH 7.7
Nitrite 1.0
KH 7.7
Specific Gravity 1.021(I'm increasing this level as refratometer wasn't correctly calibrated) (TMC V2 refractometer)

I have put small amounts of food in to kick the cycle as I have been reading, and I really do not want to do a "fish cycle".

My questions are:

How do I progress from here?
I have used NO additives like BIO SPIRA etc. and I really am getting impatient.

I know I need my PH higher; how would this be best achieved?

Any advice on how to lower nitrates?

I definitely need lower Ammonia etc. Whats my best option?

How soon (approximately) could I realistically put a HARDY fish in without harming it in the least?

Many thanks

Lee

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum, Lee, and thanks for sharing your experiences! What species do you have in your tropical tank?

Also, what's a "fish cycle"?

-Kamran

Welcome to the forum, Lee, and thanks for sharing your experiences! What species do you have in your tropical tank?

Also, what's a "fish cycle"?

-Kamran

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

In tropical it's just a nano. I have dwarf gourami x1 albino clawed frogs x2 kribensis x1

A "fish cycle " is as I understand it. Cycling a new tank with fish in.

Back