Dry Rock

muffinman356

Reefing newb
I was wondering, while setting up my tank is there a way to start the process of turning dry rock in to live rock?

Thanks,
Nicholas

Yes, you can put the dry rock in a bucket or container with saltwater, a powerhead and a heater, and put a couple pieces of live rock in the container with them. The dry rock will become live over time.

Dry rock will turn into Live rock eventually, you just need to seed it. Some use live sand, some use a single live-rock in combination with dry-rock to seed, I have seen some people say they take a cup of live-sand from a friends tank to seed...

Alot cheaper to use dry-rock. I got mine from MarcoRocks Aquarium Products and it worked out great for me.

-Good Luck

Having a light of the correct spectrum would give photosynthetic organism such as coralline algae a head start but is not required for bacteria seeding.
The coralline algae will eventually catch up once the rocks are in the display tank under proper lights.

It would be recommended to perform small water changes to prevent any buildup of bio-waste.

Back