Duncan's 55 gallon FOWLR (soon to be reef)

Thanks guys. I'm really happy with these lights, they came with timers too, and a haging kit in case I ever wanted to use it. Lol and these ballasts are like xbox 360s, it's rediculous.

How do you guys get your pictures not to come out blue? My camera isn't that great but there's got to be something I'm missing here. Even my phone camera doesn't come out like that. I fail at technology.

you can adjust the color hue levels using most common picture viewing/editing software...also, depending on your camera, they have different lighting options. Lastly, using something as simple as a clamp on light to add/enhance your normal lighting can benefit your picture coloring too.

Havn't updated in awhile, I got lots of new stuff. This tank's really coming together nicely and my corals are all very happy and healthy. Fish...well that's another story. I always thought inverts and corals would be infinetly more difficult to take care of, but I don't seem to have any problems with them.

Here's a full tank shot:
ImportedPhotos00016-1.jpg

Flame Scallop:
ImportedPhotos00011.jpg

Hammer Frag:
ImportedPhotos00013.jpg

Plate coral (Cookie):
ImportedPhotos00014.jpg

Cleaner shrimp:
ImportedPhotos00015.jpg

Zoas:
ImportedPhotos00020.jpg

You'll notice there's no fish in there. It's because my only fish (cowfish) has both ich and a bacterial infection. Right now I'm treating him in a QT with very low amounts of copper for a few weeks, then I'll run an antibacterial for a few weeks.

29 gal QT tank:
ImportedPhotos00017.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good solarfall.
That Plate coral would probably like it better on the floor of your aquarium.
Also how long have you had the Flame Scallop? I can never keep those alive for some reason.

+1 David, the plate belongs on the substrate. They contract and expand, and up on the rocks it's easy for them to tear their flesh as they expand. So they should be on the ground, far away enough from any rocks that when they are at their largest they don't touch any.

I tried putting it on the rocks and it won't extend its polyps down there and it loses a lot of color. I have plenty of lighting but for some reason it's been looking the best up top.

I suppose I'll try putting it down there again though.

And I actually just got the scallop the other day. I got a maxima clam too but I can't seem to find a happy place for both of us. I got the clam to open up completely in one spot, but only after it turned around and I couldn't see it unless I looked through the top of the tank. I'll post a picture of the clam when he's more photogenic.

Last edited:
:12: maybe you can make some sort of shallow rock bowl at the top of your rock work, fill it with sand, and then put the plate on top of that :mrgreen:

The clam is out and ready for photos

ImportedPhotos00021.jpg

Plate coral finally got used to being on the sandbed

ImportedPhotos00022.jpg

This is my RO....

ImportedPhotos00024.jpg

And this is my uhh.... St Bernard Coral:
ImportedPhotos00025.jpg

Enjoy :mrgreen:

Havn't posted in awhile, but I have lots of new stuff.

Here's a pic of the tank with camera flash, looks stupid IMO:

ImportedPhotos00033.jpg

Really nice zoo colony, bought these guys when there were only 5 polyps, now there are over 35. Although it doesn't really look like it. This is probably my favorite coral in there.
ImportedPhotos00034.jpg

Clam, lookin sharp:
ImportedPhotos00035.jpg

Been moving that plate coral around a lot to find a happy place and I finally found a spot where it looks really good. I think it was getting too much flow
ImportedPhotos00036.jpg

Red shrooms and colt corals, I think the shrooms need a spot with less flow too.
ImportedPhotos00037.jpg

My only SPS frags, a favia and an acro. The acro is finally encrusting to where I glued it and I'm pretty stoked for that.
ImportedPhotos00038.jpg

And Biff's favorite!
ImportedPhotos00039.jpg

As you can see, my coralline has been going nuts.

Whuddaya think?

Oh my god I just looked at that pic of my acro for the first time since I posted and I can already see massive growth just since then. Seriously, like 5 or more new polyps just in a week.

I'm gonna start taking pictures to keep track of the growth. It's amazing.

Back