dustins first tank. 120 gallon(lots of pics)

dustin_P74

Reef enthusiast
ok so i have finally got un-lazy and have taken some pics for you all. im still in the cycling process so i figured id start one now before i started filling it with livestock.
full tank shot
001-1.jpg

left side shot
002-1.jpg

right side shot
003-1.jpg

left side looking down
004.jpg

right side looking down
005-1.jpg

right side of stand
006-1.jpg

left side of stand
007-1.jpg

my temp. its kinda blurry but it reads 76.7 almost constantly
008-1.jpg

some of my favorite rocks
009-1.jpg

010.jpg

yes i know there is alot of algae growth but why clean it every day when i can just get snails and plump them up

i have only 90lbs. of live rock in there and i dont think im gonna put in more in there. is that ok to do? and im not to happy with the aquascaping but itll be staying that way for a while cause there arent alot of stackable rocks

I don't even have water in my tank yet, but I'd advise you to get the aquascaping the way you like it before you get much livestock in there. It would be a real shame for a rockslide to kill a fish or a cool coral you just picked up.

As for quantity of LR, I'd let someone with more experience than me give you advice on that.

Looks like a good start!

awol. i dont mind it the way it is. i just think it could be better but i dont have the imagination to make it look better so its gonna stay that way

Its looking good so far.And if you EVER get the aquascaping the way you want it.Let me know.I'm always moving something.
I will suggest to get some more rock.1 to 2 pounds per gallon will only help your biological filtration.Just use the dry base rock,that way you can pick and choose the pieces you like.

but then wont i have to put it on the bottom to seed it or will it seed even sitting on the top of all the rocks since gravity isnt as strong in water

Has to agree you need a little bit more rock. You'll be happy if you did in the long rrun. You've got a good start. Keep us posted.

What does the seeding is the bacteria.It dont care if its on a top rock or the bottom.
So just get pieces that will look good on top of what you already have.

that makes sense. i was actually thinking seeds would fall down so i was thinking gardening and physics. i was actually over thinking something for once

great start ! looks good, but trust me you will most likely change time and time again !! GOOD LUCK to you !!

Great start!Although not a must,30lbs or more would only add more to the biofilter and that's a good thing.I would also try to make an island without having the rocks lean on the overflows...touching the overflows is okay.

Take some out and break it with a hammer to get them to fit better.You have a nice wide(24'') tank so there really shouldn't be hard to stack them without leaning back on the overflows and glass.

I also think more rock would be beneficial. Live rock will serve as your tank's main source of biological filtration. If you don't have enough (1 to 2 lbs per gallon), you could run into water quality problems.

bump to me. update time. i think the cycle is finally coming to an end. the ammonia has been at zero for about a week and a half now and the nitrites i have been testing everyday and they are slowly starting to come down. the cycle has been going on now for close to 4 weeks. and i want it to be over so i can start with the fun part, the stocking, that will make me need a smaller wallet so it looks like i have more money then a do. simple little mind tricks so i dont think im spending as much as i am

Back