Dying algae in refugium

recliner

Reefing newb
I've had the same clump of chaeto algea in my refugium for 4+ months. I think the clump is smaller now then when I started and I've never had to remove any. I have a cfl 6.5k bulb from lowes on it 24 hours a day. For at least 2 months of that time I had nitrates in the 30ppm range.
I'm thinking the light is the problem but didn't want to spend any more money without getting other opinions first.

I had similar issues with my Cheato not growing in my sump.

I tried first with the Spiral light and reflecting cone and I did not have any success.
I then added a small powerhead to increase flow (think it is a 200gpm).. still not much success

After reading a bit on the boards, I think it came down the the sprial light not having enough penetration to get to the cheato which tumbles near the bottom. I added an LED light (10k) on the side of the tank and changed the sprial to an LED (6.5K) from the top. My Cheato now grows great!

I have read others having great success with just the spiral light, others with a puck light... everyones tank is different. I used the LED's since space is tight and I did not want to add anymore heat to my sump area.

-Good Luck

I am sure there are much cheaper ways to go.. but these worked for me after trying other options.

Innovative Marine Skkye Light Utility LED

I tried the other options and let it sit for up to 2months or so ... then tried something else. This combination was the only thing that worked for me with my set-up. The 10k runs 24x7, the 6.5K runs basically opposite the DT lighting.

Well I just got lucky with perfect timing today. Right after my last post I went to buy a used refugium and skimmer off craigslist. The person was parting out their tank and getting out of the hobby. Anyway, I was talking to them and mentioned that my algae wasn't doing well in my current refugium and they just gave me this for free!
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/JBJ-Macro-Adjustable-Refugium-Light/dp/B0053ZMS1Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358814308&sr=8-2&keywords=Macro-glo]Amazon.com: JBJ Macro Glow Adjustable Refugium Light, 25W: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]
I have it on my tank right now and will be going to the lfs to replace the bulb in the next week or so. Hopefully this super cheap option will fix my problem

Back