DZs 150 tank build

DZs

Reefing newb
I was PM'n with Mary regarding a question and she recommended starting this thread...
So here we go. This is my upgrade from basically a plug and play 90 bow front I got last year. I will be needing some advice from all of you since I've never built one myself.

This will be my fishies soon to be new home... I picked this up last month :)
5x2x2 front starphire glass, eurobraced 150 with 1/2" smoked glass corner overflows.

0403012048.jpg

0403012047.jpg

I was waiting for a friend to build a wood stand, turned out he couldn't. I went ahead and used a hotline and called another friend. I asked him if we could build a steel stand....

I found a picture of one that I liked and felt safe with and started figuring the layout to get the ball roll'n.
0503010959.jpg

Guess I shoulda wore gloves while cutting and cleaning the rails up from the protective oily coating on them.
huh.gif

0505011623.jpg

5x2x3 steel 1.5" square tubing, 1/8" thick. with the added doubled up front support it allows me to have a full open front in case I ever need to pull the sump out.
Here's she is all welded up... ready to come home.
0506011946.jpg

Picked up the new 48″x18″x21″ (78.5g) sump tank last week. Who would have ever guess that there's several of 75gal tanks? Some say it's an 80. LOL
Whatever it is, it has the right dimensions that I was looking for.

0528011243.jpg

Sump in...checking the size I can run for a ATO reservoir.
0521011912.jpg

Moving along thanks to a friend who offered to make me this....
In the making.

P95951BBD.jpg

Water tested BINGO purrfect.
P95959800.jpg

Last several of evenings I've been working on getting the sump floor and tank top cuts done and painted. I ran out of light last night, but at least the tops of the wood is done.

0527012234.jpg

Where is CA sunshine? Boring, dark, sprinkling rain for most of the day. I couldn't paint today so I did some designing of how to hide and protect electrical things...
I was going to use wood, then got to thinking.. wood is heavy and thick.. and I'm trying to make use of all valuable space I have in the stand. After looking around, (man do I need to clean the garage) I found some stuff I had laying around in my garage. I made this using a sheet of lexan and some aluminum L shape railing I had left over from a car project.
This hidden swing down shelve is for the LED drivers, I could totally close it against the steel frame but I thought I better leave some room for air ventilation for them. The shelve is 22x13" to allow for the additional drivers that will be needed since this tank is twice the depth as the 90. That will have to wait until later down the road when I find a lottery ticket.
I'm going to make another swing shelve, but wider on the other side for rest of the tank electrical stuff.

0528011712.jpg

0528011709.jpg

0528011727.jpg

Oh and Wade.... get your butt over here and help. :P

If you all have any idea as to what to do or not... Please I'm all ears, because once it's up there's no going back with oh man... I .... shulda, couda's.

My kids says, "Hi Everyone"
0514002028a.jpg

Last edited:
Back