eel

littleyea1

Reefing newb
Today I look at my snowflake eel and its tail is wripped to shreads... it looks like something tried to eat him... I only have a sergant major and a copus tang... is it a fungus maybe or do i have something else in my tank i don't know about.. it looks fresh so i don't know if its bacteria ?? any suggestions

could be the sargent major, damsels are assholes and sargent majors are some of the worst. also take the tang out of your 29 gallon tank ASAP

Dustins right about the tang.Even the smallest tangs need at least a 55gal tank.They are very active swimmers and tend to stress if they dont enough room.
Any chance your eel has had its tail stuck under a rock?

im not sure, i was thinking maybe i had some type of crab in there or its a nasty fungus i don't think the rock would have done this, and the sergant major isnt big enough to mess with the eel, im confused really it looks bloody and torn and if its fungus or something im wondering if i should jsut kill him now i dont knwo what to do..

Do you have any pumps in your tank with inlets, if so and if you do not have a screen over the intake the eel may have gotten his tail sucked into the pump. just a thought. Also remember that when you put anything in your system, it will grow to some extent, inorder for an animal to grow properly, it needs adequate space, oxygen, nutrition. You can always return the animals when they grow but along the way as they do grow and when they start to crowd, you may find some of the behaviors of the animals not so natural. Have fun and watch your animals, I feel the size of the system may have something to do with the eels difficulties. good luck.

Dont worry eels are bullet proof. Also, a 29 is torture for a tang unless they are tiny. Trust me once that eel settles in the sergent major will meet his match. I had one with a trigger and the trigger was its bitch. You cant kill eels, ive seen them comeback to life after hours on the floor.

i wasn't going to kill it i was joking and i know iv had my eel for over a year and half now and ever 3 months it winds up in a ball on the floor for a day or more and then i throw it back in the tank and its fine... i just htought maybe mantis shrimp or crab would do it and i was wondering if i gotta watch out for another littel cridder.. as for the tang its staying it swims a lot through my rocks a like it it eats its growing tooo bad hahahha when it dies ill make dinner...

as for the tang its staying it swims a lot through my rocks a like it it eats its growing tooo bad hahahha when it dies ill make dinner...
Thats one of the lamest and grossest display of lack of animal care posts i have read on this forum in the entire time i have been on here. i really hope you reconsider your horrible reefkeeping ideas. :io:

ever 3 months it winds up in a ball on the floor for a day or more and then i throw it back in the tank and its fine... i just thought maybe mantis shrimp or crab would do it and i was wondering if i gotta watch out for another littel cridder..

it prob does it because it is all stressed out and ants out of the tank not a good sign since they eat some crabs and shrimp.

as for the tang its staying it swims a lot through my rocks a like it it eats its growing too bad hahahha when it dies ill make dinner...

WOW is all i can say that is why some fish are endangered because people dont care how many fish they kill they just kill it and go buy a new one. and another new one until no more are left clown fish are almost endangered well they are on a threatened list right now because people dont care about the well being of the animal.

the eel is still alive i bought a tank so he could be by himself and he wounds have healed the tang is still beautiful and alive and your what playing the animal activist roll because i said id eats them and there staying in my tank..., i actually don't really care that much for the things if they make it or don't i wanted to look at them have an aquarium in my room watch things grow, if i was trying to save there species im sure a 29 gallon tank would not have been then way to go... if you want to save my eel ill give you my address you can come drive here and give him a better home ill give him to you for free./.. when you don't show up , ill tell you, your cruel to animals and everyone that reads this can say "it prob does it because it is all stressed out and ants out of the tank not a good sign since they eat some crabs and shrimp."

you can call me cruel if you want. i dont really give a crap. but if i live closer than 3000 miles i would take it to give it a better home. and i said what i said because you dont care if the amimals lives or dies not that you would eat it if it died. i dont spend thousands of dollars on my tank for them to just die i spend thousands of dollars for the animal to be happy. i am very far from being a cruel person.

well then what, i asked a question on what i should do to help my eels tail and what might have caused it, and instead of going into the question at hand and trying to help my eel, everyone goes off about the tang being in 29 gal

well its a good step to get the eel in a tank that is a good fit for it. alot of the problems could be the tang swiping at it with its tail fin fighting for their own territory. that little white spin on its fin is as sharp as a razor

move the poor tang, they aren't mean to be in a tank that small... rule of thumb, no matter HOW badly you want a fish, if you don't have the right tank size don't get it.

I happen to also have a snowflake eel and hes going to live in a 50gl tank all by him self, mind you he's only 8 in' right now and i feel bad for having him in my 20 gl. the tang is going to die, i've never heard of anyone eating tangs before... that seems sort of cruel if you ask me. poor lil tang, every time i go to the LFS and they have quarter size blue hippo tangs i remember that they are going to grow and even my 50 gl would be too small... research your fish before you just go buy something and eventually kill it from stress.

if you want to get rid of the eel, try taking it back to the LFS or shipping it out to someone on here who will actually keep them in a place thats the right size. poor

Back