Elimination of drip tray bad for oxygenation?

vrod2169

Reefing newb
Over the past 9 months I have slowing taking out all the bios balls in my wet dry for my 300 gallon FOWLR tank.. Since doing that my drip tray obviously has nothing under it other than the drop to the water level. This creates a constant splas which according to the LFS is creating a great level of oxygentaion. The problem is that it is also creating a great deal of micro bubbles! So when I transfer to a sock I notice the bubbles also drop a great deal. While reading some of the threads here I notice alot of discussion on no sock and no material in wet dry/sump is recommended by many a few years back. I had to add some salt water to raise the salinity as it dehydrates this week so by next weekend my baffles will be back in business so that should also help with the micro bubbles. So do I get rid of drip tray or can that bring an oxygenation problem? Sock or no sock?

Generally when people remove the bio balls, they replace them with live rock. That should help your microbubble problem.

You should also be topping up with fresh water, not salt water.

Generally when people remove the bio balls, they replace them with live rock. That should help your microbubble problem.

You should also be topping up with fresh water, not salt water.

+1

I have soembase rock that has been cleaned and sitting in a closet for over 10 years. Can I just place that in the sump?

Sure you can. You may want to break it up some so it is more like rock rubble depending on it's size. You can also add sponge(s) in the baffels to take care of the micro bubbles.

Personally, I run filter socks and have no issues with them.

Back