emergency!!!!!!!

bobby

I like to do bad things.
I just added a half gal of calcium instead of top off water. Is there a faster way of reducing it other than alot of water changes? I tested it and got to 800 then I couldnt go further so I know theres more than that. BTA already shrunk but everything else seems ok. I just did a 5 gal change and getting ready to do a 15 gal change. Is there anything else I can do?

continue with water changes. watch your ph and alkalinity also. only thing i can think of is if you had enough fresh saltwater made up you could do a drip and drip export to change the water over completely over say 10 hours or so. but it has to be seasoned fresh salt make up. at least 48 to 72 hrs old.good luck

I have been doing water changes with fresh mixed salt water. I dont really have a choice right now but use new water. So far I've done a 5 gal change 10 gal change and have another 10 mixing right now. The bta looks bad and the xenia look humped over, everything else is shrunk and looks ok. Calcium is under 800 now hopefully with this 10 change it will be at exceptable levels.

I got the calcium down to 500 my test kit says 500 is the limit and everything looks good except the brittle star, but that could be from soo many water changes.

Remember to keep an eye on your PH and alkalinity.
How did you end up topping off with calcium anyway?Surly it want in a water jug was it?

YeaI make my own calcium in a regular water jug, and I made the horrable mistake of not marking the bottle. I never had to add anything for alk so I'm guessing that wont change, and I use 8.3 ph on everywater change so the ph should stay the same. I hope. I get about a 2 to 3 year supply of calcium for 7.00 by making my own from randy's recipie.

if you are at 500 let things settle down now. as for the animals you will have to wait and see. 10 days to 21 days should tell. watch your alkalinity and ph though and keep those in line. just wait now is all you can do. good luck

Things are looking great, everything looks the same as before or better except the brittle star he is really slow moving and not moving around the tank much. I hope he'll be ok, I love that little guy.

glad to hear you may have gotten past the worse of it. contrats. and by the way MARK YOUR BOTTLES!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep us posted.

Oh I will deffinetly keep them marked from now on. I looked in the tank this morning and the brittle is looking better, he moved quickly when I turn the light on and he's on the other side of the tank back in his old hiding spot, so hopefully he's alright.

Back