Enherited an Aquarium

GramCracker

Reefing newb
Hey everyone. I recently came home from college from a birthday dinner and found a small salt water aquarium in my room. Needless to say I was quite excited. My sisters friend was getting rid of it so my sister decided to keep it. However she has no idea what she is doing (neither do I really). So I've decided to take care of it. The only thing in it is a single clown fish.

Basically I'm a gigantic noob when it comes to having a salt water aquarium. What I do know is that it takes a fair amount of work to keep the thing alive and running correctly. Which is why I'm here. I need a lot of help making sure that things are OK with the tank. Feel free to learn me good and point me in the direction of things I will need to buy for the tank as well as places I can read up about owning a salt water aquarium.

Here's the tank:
fishtank.jpg

And it's primary resident (aside from some snails):
clownfish.jpg

Please help me keep this thing alive and turn it into a pretty sweet little aquarium!

Welcome to the site!Check out the ''article'' section on top of the site.Any specific questions feel free to ask.

Captain Picard approves!

Congrats on the decision to keep it it is a worthwhile hobby and rewarding even in the beginning stages. I would recommend getting a A marine water test kit along with supplies that will be required for basic care (Salt for fresh water supply, etc.) Since it is already going much of the work has already been started. I know someone is going to post 3 or 4 links that will give you all the basic info which I cannot provide.

Good luck hope it turns out to be what you want!

C.

Congrats on the inheritence.

I'm going to assume that the tank is already "cycled". That's for another conversation or start doing research on this site about "cycling a tank". The first thing you need to buy is a saltwater test kit. It will give you the ability to test for Ammonia, Nitrites,Nitrates, PH, etc. But even before you bought that, I would take a sample of water to your LFS (local Fish Store) and have them test it for you. They will test it for free.

Next, you need to decide what your plans are for the tank. FOWLR (Fish only with live rock) Which is what you have now, or do you want a reef tank.

That's a small tank, so you can't go willy nillly adding fish. you've got to keep the amount of fish to a minimum.

I'll bet that within 6 months,you get a bigger tank.:D
Welcome to the site and the hobby.Were happy you joined us.

Welcome to the site. I'm glad you decided to take care of that little fish! The rest of the reef has gotchya covered in terms of the bare essentials. You will probably be due for a water change pretty soon. Since you really haven't got much yet, I would recommend you purchase a few buckets from Home Depot and purchase some RO/DI salt water from your nearest fish store.

Based on pictures looks like you need some more of that Liverock, clean the sand, and to add some fresh saltwater. I'd start with those. Cleaning your filters and everything in the aquarium (electronic that is, heater powerhead etc.) will help keep the tank running well as I am sure they havnt been cleaned in a while. Replacing your filter media also not a bad idea since you need to start a schedule for these things.

Welcome to the site!Check out the ''article'' section on top of the site.Any specific questions feel free to ask.

Captain Picard approves!

I’ll be sure to check that section out. Thanks!!!
Congrats on the decision to keep it it is a worthwhile hobby and rewarding even in the beginning stages. I would recommend getting a A marine water test kit along with supplies that will be required for basic care (Salt for fresh water supply, etc.) Since it is already going much of the work has already been started. I know someone is going to post 3 or 4 links that will give you all the basic info which I cannot provide.

Good luck hope it turns out to be what you want!

C.

Yea, today I picked up a small thermometer and a hydrometer today. I also replaced the dying light bulb with a fresh one. My next step is changing out the water (and possibly sand also) for some clean salt water.

Congrats on the inheritence.

I'm going to assume that the tank is already "cycled". That's for another conversation or start doing research on this site about "cycling a tank". The first thing you need to buy is a saltwater test kit. It will give you the ability to test for Ammonia, Nitrites,Nitrates, PH, etc. But even before you bought that, I would take a sample of water to your LFS (local Fish Store) and have them test it for you. They will test it for free.

Next, you need to decide what your plans are for the tank. FOWLR (Fish only with live rock) Which is what you have now, or do you want a reef tank.

That's a small tank, so you can't go willy nillly adding fish. you've got to keep the amount of fish to a minimum.

Thanks! Yes, the tank has already been pre-cycled. When using the hydrometer my the water came out to a 1.021 if I recall correctly.

Yea, my fish store (House of Fins) said I could only really add another 2-3 fish. I was bummed they said no coral and things of that nature (which immediately made me start thinking about getting a much larger tank [:D]

how many gallons is it?

I’m pretty sure it’s an Eclipse 6 gallon…

I'll bet that within 6 months,you get a bigger tank.
0clip_image002.png

Welcome to the site and the hobby.Were happy you joined us.

Thanks! I’m already debating starting a bigger tank, and just let my sister manage this little one. I’m itching for 5-8 fish and some nice coral and what not.

Glad to see the members around here are friendly!

I also rearranged the live rock, and it looks much better now. :claphands

Your water should be between 1.024-1.026, You need to raise it to the correct parameters. Also, when adding water, don't use tap water RO/DI only. (Reverse Osmosis)...Take it slow, that's a small tank, bad things happen quickly in small tanks.

My next step is changing out the water (and possibly sand also) for some clean salt water.[:D]

Thanks! I’m already debating starting a bigger tank, and just let my sister manage this little one. I’m itching for 5-8 fish and some nice coral and what not.

Be careful about changing out the sand -- first off, stirring the sand around to scoop it out will cause a nitrate spike (which might be ok, but you might make your clown sick), but just be mindful of that....plus if you change out too much, you might cause another cycle, which would mean a raise in ammonia levels, which is definitely toxic to your fish. I would suggest leaving the sand, because the beneficial bacteria is already in there.

Welcome to the site, and newbies are always looking to upgrade as soon as they start LOL I did! Went from a 45g to a 125g in a year!

Wow pictures deceive me, that tank looked bigger for some reason. I guess im just blind, Id agree on not changing the sand though, and do not replace all of the water in the tank at once, start by doing 20%. Id clean the sand, stir a small portion daily, about 10% a day for 10 days obviously, to avoid the before mentions spikes in Ammonia or Nitrate.

Back