Equipment opinions

jjwilley718

Reefing newb
Hello everyone!

I'm starting a 75 gallon probably reef tank. I would like some opinions on some of my equipment.

I was going between 2 koralia 1400 or 2 koralia magnum 5.

What are your thoughts on the Aquaticlife 6 light t5 lighting fixture?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

I like the Hydor Koralia powerheads, use them in all my tanks. For the price I think they are the best buy around. Magnets work so much better than the suction cups used on some other brands to hold the powerhead in place. Every once in a while after they have been turned off (during maintenance) they will start up in reverse, just unplug and replug in fixes the issue.

I had an AquaticLife 6 bulb (actually 12) fixture on my 6 foot 180 gallon tank until I replaced it with AI Sol LED's. Overall it is a real good fixture, but I did have a couple of issues with mine. First the relay that controlled the timer kept malfunctioning and not turning the lights off/on as programed. Seems they were having issues with the relay manufacturer and have since changed to a different relay. Also on one of the bulbs the end caps where the bulb plugs in would not hold the bulb securely and the bulb would flicker and go out. They sent me new end caps but I never got to replace them before I changed to the new LED fixture. I will say this that AquaticLife has GREAT Customer Service.

I'm thinking about getting the Koralia's and it seems a ton of people use them. They are cheaper than the Eco ones. I'm trying to decide on two 425s or one 750 for my 55 gal. Because its so long, I am probably going to go with two 425s unless that isn't enough over turn for my 55 gal.

You want something bigger than two Koralia 425's in a 55 gallon. I have two 425's in my 10 gallon. And I use two Koralia 750's and two 550's in my 60 gallon. At a bare minimum I would go with two Koralia 1050's. My :twocents:.

Ok then I will order two of the hydro 1050 when I get to that point. Still need led diy kit and rocks and ro/di system and salt and wavemakers.

I have two 1050's for my 55 and they seem to work great. Petmountain.com and drsfosterandsmith.com had them for th best prices I could find and with buying two you can get free shipping.

Well, from what I'm reading, if you want live rock, just one piece is enough. Some places even say if you dont go with live rock, all dry, it just takes longer to cycle.

Back