Equipment Questions

KevinR840

Reefing newb
Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions, I'm new to the whole saltwater thing so bear with me I'm kinda lost at this point:frustrat:. I have a wet/dry filtration system with a rio 2100 return pump(its rated at 692gph. I know that I need power heads however I am unsure of the flow rate that I'm trying to achieve in the tank( hopefully going to be a reef setup), and I am also unsure of which power heads are good. I've seen koralia mentioned is this a good power head?

Second question, I've been looking at skimmers and would like to know y'alls opinion on what would be a good skimmer for my tank/setup. Currently I'm looking at the Reef Octopus NWB 110:
Reef Octopus NWB 110 Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer - AquaCave
If y'all have opinions on this skimmer or a better one for my tank/setup they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the comments

Depending on what corals you plan on getting, a good start would be 2 Koralia 3's for flow.

The Octo NWB 110 is a very nice skimmer and would work nice on your tank.

You should be trying to get somewhere around 10 x tank volume through your sump, so around 550gph which it sounds like your pump will be fine for that, and then somewhere between 20 and 40 x tank volume flow in the tank depending on what you plan to keep. Softies and LPS are going to prefer closer to 15/20x where as SPS will need 30/40x. Koralia and MaxiJet are both great choices for powerheads. As for the Skimmer, buy the biggest one you can afford/fit as there isn't really such a thing as too much when it comes to skimmers and it will save you from having to upgrade down the road. xxknuckleheadxx is a dealer and always has good prices so check with him before you buy.

Awesome thanks for y'alls input I'll have to measure the available space and see which skimmer will fit, and get said power heads for the tank.

Back