Evaporation

saltwatergirl

Reefing newb
I have a 92gl Corner Tank, a 65gl refugium, and a 29 gl tall sump tank split into 2 sections. The first section is where the return is along with the protein skimmer. The other side is the return. The sump is devided by a simple over and under design with a black sponge filter between the tow sides.

We are currently loosing way to much water from the return side. About a 1 to 2 gal every day. I have tried to regulate the return water with the valves that are piped in but this didn't work either.

How do I control this excessive water loss?

Sounds To Me Like You Need An Auto Top Off System !! I Have A 35 Gallon And Lose About 1 Gallon Every 5 Days !!! One Of The Experts Will Reply To You Soon !!!

Sup RAYRAY! I agree an auto top off will help but i think you will still lose water at the same rate. The auto top off will at least keep up with it till it runs dry. Since you have 3 different places that probably are having evaporation it might be tough to control. Maybe try covering 1 and partially covering another, it may slow down the rate of evaporation since the system won't be able to breath as well. Just my guess but i am sure someone with more experience will have a better idea for you.

You need an ATO definetely, I'm not sure if you can cut down on what you lose except for covering one of ur tanks maybe, but I would still get a ATO

I agree with my co-horts.About the only way to slow evapoation is to cover the tanks.
An ATO will make it a lot easier to keep up with.

isn't it crud? I think there should be a RyanG makes up a new word each day thread with definitions. Within the definitions there would also be more made up words.

Sorry to jump in on this thread but what is the best way to maintain the SG of the tank when using an ATO? I mean, for me...I lose alot of water through my Aqua C Remora (hoping that will slow down eventually)...do people just use RO/DI in the ATO and then add saltwater as needed separately...or is it incorporated into the ATO somehow?

You shouldn't be losing significant amounts of water through your skimmer. The amount that you lose should not be enough to impact the specific gravity.

The ATO reservoir is filled with fresh water, because only fresh water evaporates from your tank, leaving the salt behind.

Saltwater is only added to the tank during water changes (when you remove saltwater first).

There really is no reason to have an open tank,refugium and sump.If your tank is open then have a cover for the sump/refugium.That will help water from evaporating.Another reason is you may of made the return section too small.An ATO will help keep the return section level.I highly recommend one and the cost is fairly cheap($40-120).

I agree this is some good stuff I am definitly going to refer back to when I get a larger tank. I may just ask Reeffreak all over again at that time though because he loves it.

There really is no reason to have an open tank,refugium and sump.If your tank is open then have a cover for the sump/refugium.That will help water from evaporating.Another reason is you may of made the return section too small.An ATO will help keep the return section level.I highly recommend one and the cost is fairly cheap($40-120).
Links to a good ATO?

Back