Experience with Snowflake Eels?

they can be reef safe, but i dont think of them that way, they do get very large my buddy has one thats the lenght of a 55 gallon tank, when they get big they will destroy your rock work arranging it the way they feel suitable, and they WILL eat any fish it can catch and fit in its mouth so be carefull there. clowns are no exception lol

Sharkie has successfully kept a few eels in reef tanks. I can't remember if one was a snowflake though.

and they WILL eat any fish it can catch and fit in its mouth so be carefull there. clowns are no exception lol

Ya, they mention in that article feeding them off a stick to get them used to that. Said they can accidentally bite a fish if they go into a feeding frenzy when they smell food dropped in the tank.

Sharkie did have a snowflake eel i believe. And it was reef safe, but jumped out the top and was found dead for that reason. I think its about keeping them well fed and you have no issues.

Sharkie did have a snowflake eel i believe. And it was reef safe, but jumped out the top and was found dead for that reason. I think its about keeping them well fed and you have no issues.

mine didn't jump! LOL. I STILL have my wonderful Kona :)

He's lived in a reef with quite a bit of corals, shrimps, fish, and inverts and never bother them.... the only thing he did that was semi-annoying was burrow under rocks.... he never re-arranged them tho and has never toppled anything. the shrimp used to climb inside konas mouth a clean him and kona never tried to eat him...

They are fun creatures :) Kona is really good when it comes to feeding time... he doesn't go near any of my fish and the fish even wap him in the face with their tails and he doesn't do anything! lol. funniest thing ever :)

but I'd say reef safe :) they are on the more docile side of eels... plus if you get a baby one (or smallish one ... like 5-7 inches) they learn real quick that the fish in there are friends and theres a difference between friends and food. Plus that gives you time to see how they react towards things. But being you have an open top tank, it might be tempted to jump :( they just love to explore the floor... and thats kinda an expensive new toy for wally! lol

The biggest thing about keeoing an eel in a reef.Is eels like to hide most of the time.
Plus as mentioned,when the get bigger,they can and will knock rocks over.

But being you have an open top tank, it might be tempted to jump :( they just love to explore the floor... and thats kinda an expensive new toy for wally! lol

BAHAHA! TRUE!!!! :lol:

I didn't know eels were jumpers.
Are they notorious for this like many of the commonly known jumping fish?

And once they get too big are they very difficult to remove?

I had one in my first 55 reef tank. He was awesome. Fed off the feeding stick, then later by hand. I moved him to another open topped tank, and out he jumped, found him later that night.

yea, they are pretty known for jumping... they just like to see whats out there... they can live for 12-18 hrs outta the water but its not always good for em :p

They are reef safe with caution. Not because of the corals but because of the inverts. I could not have shrimp or crabs or they were toast. Never bothered the few corals I had in that tank. As a matter of fact here he is. They are escape artist so a tight fitting top is needed.

100_1859.jpg

I don't understand some things?Do people want reef tanks or predator tanks.I just don't think you can have your cake and eat it too in the same tank.

/a very short commentary by the Freak/

I don't understand some things?Do people want reef tanks or predator tanks.I just don't think you can have your cake and eat it too in the same tank.

/a very short commentary by the Freak/

naw, I'm just re-creating the OCEAN!!! ya know? like, theres predators and reef fish all in the same area... soooo why not have it here at home too? :) just re-creating mother nature LOL

I have a snowflake eel and he is awesome in my reef tank doesnt bother anything. Mine found its way into the sump and lasted 10 days down there cuse we were on vacation and the person we hired didnt notice the missing fish but he is still alive and doing well. Mine grew really quick i dont know if its a trait of snowflakes or mine is just awesome, but that aside they are reef safe but the open top could be a problem.

I have had one for two years and he jumped out of the cooler he was in when I was moving luckily I picked him up. He will swim right up next to my other fish and he does notice the difference between food and the tankmates. I also have a zebra eel in with him as well if you want my snowflake let me know I would rather have an additional fish I just don't know how to go about getting him out he is not easy to catch and I am not willing to take out all of my rock. Any ideas? I have some corals and snails, but I don't think crabs or anything like that would last long in my tank.

if you want my snowflake let me know I would rather have an additional fish I just don't know how to go about getting him out he is not easy to catch and I am not willing to take out all of my rock. Any ideas?

I've always said, if you don't want your eel you can ship him my way :) I'd be glad to take him off your hands... the LFS should know the best way to ship them

Back