Exploring the Idea

Gerry

Reefing newb
I am not new to fishkeeping in general terms I have had two ponds (2000 imp gal) for over three years and have seen my fish stocks grow. I keep a small tank which I bring on my fry each year sort of a nursery tank, and that has paid dividends. Now this is the part where I become a compete, and I mean complete novice. I love the Idea of having an aquaria with living rock and rock inhabitants plus the odd few marine fish. I get a warm feeling of satisfaction just watching my small fry develope int beautiful fish. I know from experiences with my ponds the kind of attention to detail that is needed, but given all that what, would be the best way to start I.E Tank size Water condition (salt water) reef/rock tank inhabitants, stocking levels types of inhabitants heaters/chillers filters air supply etc. Keep in mind that this is from scratch and for the complete newbie. I believe in starting off with a managable system but something that I can fully enjoy and then when I am a bit more experienced then moving on a little.

I await my fellow enthusiasts comments

Regards
Gerry

Cool, I love seeing new people get into saltwater tanks, here is a short list for starters...

1. Patients :)
2. 75 gallon tank or large is preferred. More water volume less problems. 55 gallon will work ok.
3. Most important, Protein Skimmer, the best you can buy. Euro-Reef is my favorite.
4. Power heads, heaters and the little junk. The more water you move the better.
5. Live rock, and a bunch of it, try at least 50 pounds or more in a 75 gallon tank. Throw some base rock in underneath the live rock if you want to be economical.
6. Some kind of water filter with activated carbon.
7. Crushed coral or even better live sand for the bottom. Don't get fine sand it holds waste.
8. Supplements, Calcium for buffering and growth of your corals, clams etc, iodin, invert food etc.
9. If you want to go all out throw in a sump/refuge, but you can do this later. Remember more water is better.
10. Best lighting you can afford.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

recommend investment in a couple of books to see if this is what you want to do. see thread NEWBIES TO REEFING/ HELLO AND WELCOME. that thread has listed a couple very good books that will answer most of your questions. hope this helps.

Back