External Pump

blando

Reefing newb
Hello,

I am looking for an external pump. This is only for a 20 gallon tank. The ones i am finding are like 100 or more and is pushing to much GPH. I believe for a 20 gallon tank i only need about 100 GPH. I heard Mag Drive has some external but i can not find anything. Any ideas?

Yeah i saw that one but the frag tank is only 3ft to 4ft high from the pump. I think 500 is to much for that.

Also by their head loss chart at 3-4' you're looking at the pump I listed giving you about 335-270gph. That's with straight piping, any elbows or valves will further cut down that flow rate.
Even at 335 I don't think you're pushing it for your tank. In my old 28g tank I was running two 300gph return pumps and those only had 6" of head-loss.

+1 Brian. I have a koralia 425 and another on the way in my 20 long, so I doubt 25-400 at the surface would do any damage. Just get the return in the water pointed up and you've got some great surface agitation. I also have a HOB with rubble pushing probably 120-150 gph and don't see any negative side effects.

Back