Falcula Butterflyfish in a 180 reef?

Sperry6591

Reefing newb
My LFS has a copperband butterflyfish in their display tank, they mentioned if kept fed there should not be a problem, was wondering if anyone has had experience with butterflys in a reef enviornment? Also any exp. with the Falcula butterflyfish? Thanks!

the copperband is a very slow eater that 9 out of 10 times wont survive in our tanks. They dont take well to many other fish that we get, they are a very shy fish that gets bullied easily.. I have kept a couple butterfly's before but I would recommend leaving them be especially if the tank is reef..

I almost got one....but knew its survival rate wasn't high, even those that are eating frozen. The ones I saw in the lfs had quite voracious appetites, too, and were not shy at all! It was all I could do to not buy one! In the end, I didn't want to risk getting attached only to have it die.

Very difficult fish to keep alive -- "If kept fed, there should not be a problem". Yes, but that's the challenge -- the vast majority cannot be kept fed and starve to death. There are not too many reef safe butterflies. Almost all of them will eat corals and sponges. The falcula is not reef safe. According to Live Aquaria, "A 100 gallon or larger fish-only aquarium with other butterflyfish is a good environment. The Falcula Butterflyfish will eat anemones, hard corals, and mushroom anemones causing problems in a reef aquarium."

I don't have either one of those, but I currently have two Butterfly's (Pakastani and Klein) in my 180 and they pick on some corals and leave others alone. The ones they pick on I just move to one of my other tanks and try something new in its place. I would say that if you don't have the option of moving corals that a butterfly is picking on out of the tank then to NOT get any Butterfly's.

I've had my copperband for a year. I've been lucky that he eats frozen mysis shrimp
and I also feed a frozen blend made for butterflies and angels. I also keep plenty of pods in my sump/refugium. Sorry can't help with info on the falcula.

The reality is that coral is in the diet for most butterflies - so I just don't buy the 'keep them well fed and they will behave' line. I have a Klein's in my 180 for Aipstaisia control, and while it does a decent job at keeping the pest 'nems in check - it also ate a brain coral that was on its way out.

If you don't have a place to move corals that are bothered, I'd say keep them out of a reef tank

Back