Fastest way to grow coralline ??

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
What is the fastest way to grow coralline ? I know carbonate and calcium levels are very important. I've heard good things about Purple Up but I would think calcium supplements and baking soda can accomplish the same thing. Actinincs too?

You need coralline to grow coralline. I've never had a problem with it growing like crazy. Within a month of setting up my new 75g last summer I had coralline on almost all the glass. I know if you were to scrape existing live coralline on the LR or glass it will help to release tons of spores and spread the coralline. That's about the most full proof way I know how to spread it. Of course you'll need to have proper levels of calc, alk and mag. I've never used Purple Up or any similar product.

Last edited:
In my case it was lighting..I have always used ESV Calcium buffer to maintain my Alk and Cal levels for my SPS, but i could never get Coraline to grow even though my SPS grow fast. Then I switched my T5 bulbs with the recommended color combo ATI bulbs, and the stuff is everywhere

I think coraline likes lower light, so you might have too much light for it to grow well. I only get coraline growing on the darker edges of my tank

Not sure about the low light. Here's a FTS of my tank about 2 months ago and I have coralline growing right to the rim and its under 8x54w T5's.

021-2.jpg

I think so... I honestly think it depends on water quality and params that coralline just likes to thrive in. Not sure what those specs may be though.

I have very little dime sized blotches here and there on some rocks...it has never took off on me.....no clue why...i did hear if you use purple up you will have to always use it...don't know if thats true or not

I am confused by your original question. You ask what makes it grow but you seem to have it growing all the way up to the top of your tank and all over your glass. Do you actually want more or are you asking to make it stop?

I am confused by your original question. You ask what makes it grow but you seem to have it growing all the way up to the top of your tank and all over your glass. Do you actually want more or are you asking to make it stop?

I believe that was a picture of Hiker4twenty's tank not Sen5241b's tank.

After I installed MH light I noticed a coralline die off where the MH light was most intense on the rock. I think slightly lower light like T5s and blue actinics are best. We have a 20G L that has a 35 watt CP and a 35 watt blue actinic and it is hard to find a rock that is not covered with coralline.

Anyone else seen better growth with blue actinics?

After I installed MH light I noticed a coralline die off where the MH light was most intense on the rock. I think slightly lower light like T5s and blue actinics are best. We have a 20G L that has a 35 watt CP and a 35 watt blue actinic and it is hard to find a rock that is not covered with coralline.

Anyone else seen better growth with blue actinics?

I run 6 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI Purple Plus and 1 GE 6500k so I do have mostly actinic type lighting. Maybe that's the key...who knows?

Back