fear of adding fish due to Green Algae

felixfish

newbie reefer
I am fearful of the addition of another fish to my 55gal. I have 2 clowns, and a dotty back, plus a crab and clean up crew. My tank has been up and running 3 months + but have green algae on the majority of my rocks. I just installed an 15 gal HOB refugium last week. Should i wait til my algae has subsided before adding an extra fish? :bounce:
Thanks

what kind of algae? hair algae or what?

i have green coralline algae on all of my rock completely covered.

no its not an established coralline algae, It's the beginning stage of green hair algae. I'm guessing its from the end of my cycling stage. I just use the testing strips, and my nitrates are up just a hair, but in the ok range, everything else is ok.

algae shouldnt affect your new fish as long as your levels are fine , but just to be sure when you do go to your LFS take a small sample of your water and let them check it just to make sure, if its hair algae , a fish that graces should do ok especially since it starting to come out, a lawnmower blenny would love to eat that , but if its too big the blenny wont touch it. check your phosphates if they are too high then thats what your hair algae is feeding on

Ok Thanks, I'm gonna head to my LFS tomorrow and get the water tested. I borrowed my brothers RO/DI unit that he has not used for a year and think my filters need to be changed causing my phosphates to increase. Thanks for the advise!

Yes, it filters but at a slow rate! I'm going to try and sell my old hob cascade 300 filter and GET NEW RO/DI filters! Took my water to the LFS today and checked my water. All levels are in sync except my nitrates. They are in the good range a tad up and no phosphate issues! (whew) I was given the ok to add another member to the tank. I picked up several types of snails, hooked up the pump and light timer to my refugium and patiently waiting for the clean up crew to begin!

Back