feather dusters?

dwinzent

Reefing newb
so after taking my plunge back into the SW world i have purchased my first coral frag its a zoa. some of you may have seen my other post in the coral section. it has been about 4-5 days since i bought it and the polyps have still not fully opened but everyday they keep opening further and further i am expecting them to fully open within the next couple days. heres a little more background the frag was one piece but i was having problems with getting it to stay on my rocks and one night it blew off and broke into two pieces. i followed that with gluing one piece to a piece of LR in my tank and the other piece i found a nice hole that the plug fits snug in. After observing the frags over the last couple days i have noticed two critters, one on each frag. one i am almost positive it is some type of feather duster, it is a fan type thing that is in a tube that is attached to the rock the fan is bright red. the other is a kinda clear fan/tenticle looking thing that i have not really gotten a good look at yet. i have pictures of both below and i circled the critters in paint so it is easier to see what i am talking about the red one can be seen in both the second pics. can anyone tell me what these are and if they are safe to have on my frags? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• frag 1.jpg
    frag 1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 825
  • frag 2.jpg
    frag 2.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 682
  • frag 3.jpg
    frag 3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 586
I have dozens of feather dusters and I don't believe they would harm your zoas but I'm no expert. I know they are filter feeders so they won't be munching on the zoas! Good luck

Yes they are feather dusters. I have hundreds growing on my rock and through some of my coral, including one on my purple monti and several on my favia.

Those feather dusters will not get very big.

Back