Feedback please

Hornet

Reefing newb
I could use some feedback on my plans. I mainly want to make sure I'm not overlooking something. I'm a newb to this but I've been doing some reading during over past few months.

150gal-4ft-drill-ver2.jpg

The above diagram shows where I plan on drilling my tank. The tank is a 150 gal (48" x 24" x 30"). Me and sketchup don't get along to well so some of the holes are not exactly aligned where I want them, but the diagram does show my basic idea. Also the bottom of my tank is not tempered. So as far as drilling the holes I'm safe. I'm kinda liking the idea of some flow pointed at the front of my reef. But I still may consider moving the returns in the bottom to the back glass.

UnderStand-ver4.jpg

This diagram shows the equipment that I plan on having under my tank. As of right now I'm planning on getting a custom sump built to take advantage of the height I have under my stand (there is 31" of height beneath the tank). But I may bail on that idea and revert to a 40 gal breeder after I get a price on the sump.

Does my setup look dumb? Am I not considering something?

Should I consider leaving space for other items under my tank?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm trying to avoid future :frustrat: after everything is done

I was figuring the heater could go in the return section. All that space will be wide open since the return pump is external

I think that I would add two more returns just so that the water coming out wasnt at such a strong velocity, not like a spa if you know what I mean.

What program did you use to design that?

I think that I would add two more returns just so that the water coming out wasnt at such a strong velocity, not like a spa if you know what I mean.

What program did you use to design that?

I'm figuring around 7 ft of head height on the pumps and I will also be adding a ball valve on the output of the panworld pump. I'm also considering a 4-way Oceansmotions device on the CL pump. So are you saying that you think I need 2 more green returns the sump. Or are you saying I should have 2 more on the Closed loop side?

The program I used to make the drawings is google Sketchup. I'm using the free version.

Wow you do a very nice job with the sketchup I have used it too but I suck at it!

I was thinking that you should use two more closed loop returns. I found a calculator that I will link to at the bottom. According to it, with the Reeflo Darts 7ft head hgt. rating of approx 2100gph, I broke the rating into quarters to represent each of the returns from the closed loop. So they are represented at 525gph. With that amount of flow through a 1 inch tube,the water will be hitting your display at a shade under 2.5mph for each return.

I guess that isnt as high as I had originally thought. My only concern is that I am thinking that it will be a pretty stiff current. Are you planning on adding any locline diffusers or wye's?

Be aware that if you use the oceansmotions 4way Version 3(best selling)that it will cut your active flow in half because it only allows flow through two returns at a time. I would use the version that allows flow to three ports at a time if I were to use one at all.

I that I didnt make that confusing.

FLOW CALCULATOR http://www.1728.com/flowrate.htm

Everything you said makes sense and I'm going to play with the calculator a little later tonight.

I'm planning on reducing the 1" returns in the back glass to 3/4" lock line fittings.

I'm thinking of just using 45° pvc on the 1" returns in the front with some kind of screen in them. But I still need to think that through a little more. I'm thinking if I space the returns in the front/bottom glass properly I might be able to put some rock around them to hide them a bit so they don't stick out so much while viewing the front pane.

Do you think a constant flow from all 4 ports on the CL would be too much. I've got my eye on the OM-4way but due to the cost I've been considering not getting it now and adding it later down the road.

Am I wrong or is head height figured differently in a closed loop? I thought I read somewhere that since there will be no air in the line, the pump does not have to work as hard circulating the water. And thanks for the comments on my sketchups I've definitely see people do way better. I could not get some of the items to line up to save my life.

Last edited:
I dont think that it would be too much to have constant flow from the CL returns at all. Typically people would suggest to run 3-4 korilia 3s on that sized tank. They flow at 850gph so I think you would be just fine as long as you have something to diffuse the direct flow(loclines will be perfect).

Thats another good point to come to. If you keep with the 1" pipe to the 3/4" locline that will be perfect as it will stop cavatation that will cause microbubbles. If you decide to use 1" loclines you should up your tubing to 1.5" and neck it down at the bulkhead. Also while we are on that subject IMO(from what Ive been instructed to do on my CL system) is to oversize the tubing one size for the intake and return size of the closed loop and neck it down at either side of the pump. Dont forget to use true union ball valves on either side as well because at some point you WILL have to maintain/replace the pump. Super Mod Jhnrb would be another one to ask any questions as he is quite versed in closed loops as I understand it.

Im not sure at all about the head height question, sorry.

Good stuff, I may just bail on the OM 4 way for right now and either not spend that money or spend it somewhere else :D.

I don't believe Loc-line makes 1" fittings. If you know of a place let me know. Based on the above I guess I might want to consider running 1.5" piping if I don't reduce the 1" returns in the bottom glass to 3/4" fittings. Are you also saying it might be better for me to run 2.5" piping from my 2" bulk head and reduce it to 2" at the dart pump intake?

Last edited:
You are correct no loc-line 1" stuff. I would do like you said and run the 1.5" piping if you arent going to do the loc-line in the bottom.

Back