Feeding fish

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Okay so I understand how a bioload works as far as adding fish, but the question has come up in my house about feeding the fish possibly adding to bioload because it has to break down. We food literally one drop of mysis feast or one drop of thawed brine shrimp with spirulina.

We currently have a yellow watchman goby, serpent star, and a porcelain crab plus a few snails and hermits.

Does the feeding effect the bioload? If so, what is the difference between feeding the fish and having an additional fish?

We plan to add another fish in about a month or so.

Thanks,
Angie

Feeding does affect the bioload, but I think that the increased bioload is taken into account in the 1 fish every 3-4 weeks rule. That said (as I think you learned in the 14g) overfeeding can wreck havoc on your tank! I'd probably feed a little more than 1 drop - you don't want your goby to starve to death! - but I would do less than half of a regular sized cube. They make tiny nano cubes of mysis (same company that makes the marine cuisine) that I've been using for my 10g - I think 1/2 of one of the nano cubes would be fine for your goby, star, and crab. Here's what the packaging of the mini cubes looks like - you should be able to find them at your LFS:

Aquarium Frozen Fish Foods: San Francisco Bay Brand Frozen Mysis Shrimp

Thanks Fishy. I did learn alot in the 14 gallon and it was expensive and heartbreaking. I will find the nano cubes. The goby, Bob, picks off the rocks in the lower part of the aquarium too, but I am not sure he's eating per say or is he?
Angie

He looks healthy, not fat. When he is picking off the rocks, do you think he's finding stuff to eat on them?

Back