Feeding & overflows

messiah023

Reefing newb
I just installed my Octopus HOB skimmer.
The unit came with a surface skimmer attachment / overflow siphon.

PICTURE

My question:

When I feed the fish, the food seems to get carried to the overflow siphon by the current and gets sucked into the skimmer. Aside from turning the skimmer off during feedings, does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, any tips on how high the bubble should be in the skimmer? I have it bubbling right now about 1/2 way up the collection cup tube.

Thanks in advance.

i keep my skimmer bubbles right at the bottom of the cone, but i have to adjust it depending on the height of the water in my sump

however, yours doesnt look anything like mine, so i would suggest adjusting the flow into your skimmer so the bubbles have time to hang out in the reaction chamber, and the only thing flowing into your skimmer cup is scummy foam.

ohtherwise at least in my limited experience you end up with a skimmer cup full of water

Last edited:
I would turn it off. You could get the digital reefkeeper like I have, then you just push a button when you fee and it turns whatever you want off for awhile.

SaltyCritters

There is a writeup about it in the forums here
:bounce: The Salty Critters link was a link for OctoPus skimmers.
This is the link for the Reef Keeper digital timer/controller. http://www.saltycritter.com/digital-aquatics-reefkeeper-2-controller.htm
Looks like a bargain. I will order one and check it out. It would be a lot more economical for small systems than an AquaController. Doesn't appear expandable enough for larger systems though. Even the high load expansion outlet is economical. It is really nice to actually see something at a good price for a change. :^:

Fatman- if you go to digitalaquatics.com they make different ones that are larger and more advanced depending on what you are looking for.

Fatman- if you go to digitalaquatics.com they make different ones that are larger and more advanced depending on what you are looking for.
:bounce: The site I went to said their new one would be available the third quarter of 2008. They say they are about ready to take advance orders. Looks like maybe they are removing the push buttons to turn off each channel. but I hope I am wrong. I am going to order one of t he small ones now though as at that price and those features it already appears to be a nice piece of equipment at a good price. :^:

They do a myriad of things depending on what you plug into it and which one you have. I have my lights plugged into them so they go off at different times, my powerheads are all on there too because it has a built in wavemaker if you want it. Also, it comes with a temp. probe that gives you a digital read out. It also has feed mode, where you just push a button and it turns whatever you want off. It also has soft start for your powerheads, and if you have metal halides it has a soft start for that too. I hope this makes sense I'm not very good at explaining.

An example is temperature control. Depending on the mode you buy it is different, but with model #2, you can set a desired temperature and it will turn your heater on when the temp is to low, it will also turn a fan on if it starts getting to hot, then a another fan if it gets even hotter, then a chiller if it still gets hotter, then it will turn off lights if it still gets even hotter. Or any combination of those things. It will read and control your pH so that you can safely use a calcium reactor (turns the carbon dioxide on or off). It will turn pumps on and off as you desire and will run pumps and or power heads like a wave maker. It will turn on and off ATO systems or anything else you use on your system that is run on electricity. It will do it with timers or with the push of a button. They are being expanded and improved daily, and this particular brand has a new model coming out somewhere between October and December. This brand, as do the others more expensive models, plug into your computer so that you can download upgrade software to extend their capabilities as they develop new soft ware. Their new model, soon to come out, will allow control of your reef systems via the Internet or dial your cell phone. This brand is the most economical brand, and is the only brand that has the convenience of simple buttons to easily over ride the timers programming to turn things on and off as you wish. The other systems would require you run through a list and enter commands much like programing a TV or VCR. AquaController is now lowering the price of their Cheapest unit, AquaController Jr., in order to compete with this brand.

Back