feeding thread

michelle

Reefing newb
I noticed in Biff's "RIP lenny the Blenny" thread, some talk about cutting back on feedings to once every couple or three days.
Here's what I've been wondering~ I have a copperband and 2 anthias. I actually feed small portions 3 times a day, because I am worried about these guys. The copperband eats whenever it is offered but only the mysis, brine or mussels, and the Anthias are fine, but, I have read that they have a high metabolism and can starve if not fed frequently.
Any thoughts on this? I (as I have mentioned in another thread) battle phosphates, and I am sure the amount of feeding is the main problem, but I am scared to cut it back.
I love the thought of an easier to maintain tank though.
How often do you guys feed? Do any of you have a copperband? and REEFFREAK how are your anthias for feeding and the whole metabolism thing?
Thanks

From what I've with the CBB I had,They are a lot like mandrines.They'll take SOME frozen foods,but actully rely more on the pods and aiptasia anemones for food.

the thing with anthias is you really wanna feed them three times a day for a couple months after you buy them because they are half starved to death at the LFS because the LFS can only feed them once maybe twice a day, but once you have had them for a while and they are all nice and fat you can probably get away with once a day or every other day as long as you watch them to make sure they arent starving

my CBB is the piggest pig in my tank. He eats his favorites right out of my had, I hope he is getting enough though
My anthias seem to be ok, but they certainly are a very active fish, and have a hardy appetite

What kind of anthias do you have again,Michelle?

I seriously believe if they are bartletts or lyretails than you can reduce to once a day...especially if they are eating larger foods(mysis etc).I'm still feeding two to three times a day,not because of the bartletts and lyretails,it's because of the harder to keep dispars and carberryi.Give it a try,if they start looking thin(which can happen surprisingly fast)then go back to the norm.

I have 4 anthias -- dispar, lyretail and one fathead (sunburst). All have been doing okay since I cut back to feeding once every 3 days (I cut back several months ago). BUT, I do have a large tank with tons of live food, and a large fuge. If you don't have those things as backup, I'd not suggest cutting back as drastically as I have.

Back