Feeding zoas

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I posted before, I got my first two corals yesterday and now wondering if I should be feeding them anything directly or are they pretty much self sufficient? The green one opens up but except for a couple on the purple one, it stays closed. Will it gradually open or do I need to do something?

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

I dont really feed mine but others do. On ocassion ill shoot some brine and cyclospeease at it. Not positive but i think they are self suffieciet and just need a lil light. I have mine place in diff locations in my tank and all of them have grown on their own.

your tanks a little young do you dose nutriants and vitamins, and what lights are you running? zoas in my experiance usually stay open unless they become irrated, but i dont think you need too do anything with them right now youve only had them 2 days right? than they arent really used to you tank yet

My T5HO is on the way. I figured since at least the purple colored one is new it doens't want to open up all the way yet. The green one seems to be doing good though from what I can tell.

I haven't added anything to my tank except water and a dose of food for the foxface once a day.

You dont need to dose anything for those guys, and i wouldnt dose anything you cant test for. Once you get your lights, they will start growing for you.

You dont need to dose anything for those guys, and i wouldnt dose anything you cant test for. Once you get your lights, they will start growing for you.

calc, alkalinity, magnesium, strontium, potassium, iron, iodine, vitamins, minerals, all things every liveing thing needs even zoa's in the proper amount doseing is a good thing, i dose once a week and in the last 4 days ive had a tiny little nothing piece of superman monti triple in size, my birds nest has 3 new arms, and my zoa colonies have gotten 6 new heads

clan your seriously rushing your tank its really young still, i thought everything looked too clean and too void of life, step back a touch, sorry alright back to the issue

whats the wattage on the t5 you got comeing and how many are you gonna run.... if its anything less than ohhh lets just say 3 watts per gallon minimum its no where near enough

Last edited:
most of those dont come in ro water in amounts that can be measured read it again i hit the wrong button before finishing it so i had to change it

most of those dont come in ro water in amounts that can be measured read it again i hit the wrong button before finishing it so i had to change it

That's why we use salt. Read the packaging of the salt you buy. It contains all those elements. In a correct balance.

No, and ive never need to. My levels stay right around 400 for calc and 11 for alk. I just do my weekly water changes, but i also dont have a million SPS corals.

yeah packageing makes alot of claims, but ive noticed it rarely follows it up
i dose, i enjoy chemistry, and i get results i stand behind them too.

Your zoas are filter feeders and obtain their nutrients through the water column. Look for Phyto-Feast or something similar at your LFS to add a couple times a week..

he may not want to add it more than once a week it is only a small colony of zoas after all, or add a smaller doseage, at least thats what i figure right

listen to Biff and little fish. They will grow with light and good water. I don't dose and they grow in my tank and I don't spot feed them either.

Back