Few Extra Days?

Thanks Biff. That's what I'm going to do. I didn't realize I was overfeeding until I started typing my meal schedule. YIKES! My LFS found some cheato that is supposed to be in on Friday. I'll definitely put it in a mesh bag. Hopefully that helps. Sounds like it will...so I'm aiming to keep my nitrates at 0? My LFS told me 10mg was really good...and 20mg is more than acceptable.

Give your chaeto plenty of strong light.

You can get a $10 desk lamp from Lowes and a "daylight" CFL bulb. (The twisty flourescent type) to put over your fuge and that will be just fine for you to keep the chaeto.

I've dropped my waer changes to 10gallons (about 20% of my water volume with all my rock) every 3 weeks, since my tank has stablized out and everything has been fine. A bigger WC less often is better than smaller ones more often, statistically.

This has been really helpful information. Thanks everyone. I'm going to do the desk lamp/growing bulb over my sump tank...that way I don't have to look at a bag floating in my tank. I'm going to get my feedings down to mysis shrimp once every other day. I'll do a small piece of algae sheet every few days. No more pellets!!! I just remembered my xenia died about a week ago. Is that an SPS coral? Maybe that was actually my first indication of a problem. Hmmmmmmmmmm. My clam and rosebud anemone are definitely BARELY hanging on. UGH. Oh well. What can I say? I'm a newbie! At least now I'm a newbie with a plan! :) I am wondering if I should do another water change before I add the spaghetti algae on Friday???

Xeni's not SPS, it's a soft coral. BUT, you're right in thinking they were an indication, Xenia's can be very finecky, despite their hardiness, towards water conditions and are an excellent litmus test for water quality.

I would continue doing water changes frequently in smaller amounts. Perhaps even step it up to twice a week right now. You remove more waste by doing larger changes and they are more beneficial in that sense, but you also create bigger changes which you need to try to avoid right now since your livestock is already stressed. The reason that clams and nems are considered expert only is because they need such stable conditions. Doing giant water changes right now robs them of their stability. If you want to save them, I think it's going to take some extra effort right now of doing more tedious water changes. Slowly bring your parameters back in line and then make the changes you stated to your routines so that this problem doesn't reoccur in the future. Good Luck!

I like to put 2 lights over my fuges because one weekend I went away and the light broke and after two days the chaeto started rotting and caused trates to rise. A second light servers as a backup assumign you can't check your tank every day.

More advice: nitrate levels are important and corals can handle only so much nitrates but corals have an even lower tolerance for phosphates. At a mere 0.25 ppm, phosphates will start bleaching corals. Test for phosphates!

+1 SEN. Also, it's worth stating that if your parameters were more out of line, it would call for more drastic measures, as far as trates go, 20ppm isn't terrible so that's why I say bring it down slowly. If you see them get any higher then you need to get more aggressive but for the moment I think slow and steady wins the race.

I like to put 2 lights over my fuges because one weekend I went away and the light broke and after two days the chaeto started rotting and caused trates to rise. A second light servers as a backup assumign you can't check your tank every day.

More advice: nitrate levels are important and corals can handle only so much nitrates but corals have an even lower tolerance for phosphates. At a mere 0.25 ppm, phosphates will start bleaching corals. Test for phosphates!

Good point...I'll keep that in mind. Right now I can check on my tank everyday...but if I skip out of town.....

+1 SEN. Also, it's worth stating that if your parameters were more out of line, it would call for more drastic measures, as far as trates go, 20ppm isn't terrible so that's why I say bring it down slowly. If you see them get any higher then you need to get more aggressive but for the moment I think slow and steady wins the race.

I think I will do a smaller water change tomorrow. Yes, everything is definitely stressed. I usually do about 30%...but I'll do 15%. Friday I'll set up my spaghetti algae and light....hopefully it's not too late. My clam is not happy...and my rosebud anemone is barely hanging on...literally!

Well....that depends on how much money you want to spend :D There are tank monitors and controllers that you can get so you can monitor your tank remotely, either by the computer, or via cell phone. They are pricey though, but could be a good investment if you travel frequently.

Back