filter broke

Nickoz1

Reefing newb
Hi guys, so i am confused on what to do here...

i have a30 gallon, with 2 powerheads, t5 HO lghting, no skimmer at the moment.

since i had no skimmer i ran 2 hang on bac filters, one with carbon, bio balls, and sponge... and the other is just media.

anyways, one of my hang on filters broke and the propeller will not turn... so its just running media filter...

Im wondering since i have about 20lbs of live rock if that would be ok with the one filter...

Should i put bio balls in media filter? i have been hearing that they are a nitrate storage with them... not sure what to do. im looking at getting a skimmer ASAP... just need to know what to do since i only have one filter, or if thats ok since i have some live rock.

im just worried due to my high nitrates... i have about 9 corals... all hardy ones. and 2 demsels... my inverts ( hermit crabs) keeep getting eating by my other ones due to me watching the feeding ( every other day)

kinda stuck...n neeed some help!!!!!

Thanks everyone!

also.. i have been doing water changes everyday of about 10 percent. today i might do a alittle bigger since its not droppping at all yet that i know of.

also... i see that other have no filters due to live rock? just a skimmer?

I have two HOB filters on my 10, but they just have live rock rubble and I only use them to hold that and for the flow.

Last edited:
ok so you just run rock rubble? ill have to try that. whats point in media, and bio balls then? and you think i have enough rock to run and alll with one filter? .... im on top with water changes, im purchasing skimmer this week, and hoping i can run one filter with mabe just rock in it and thats it. but im wondering if i have enough rock for to be as a filter... its a newer tankk. probley month n half old? or so.. what would you do if your me ATM.

I would suggest 10 lbs more of dead rock for your tank, it will become live. For the rubble, justt go buy a couple lbs of live rock rubble a

I agree with Kyle throw 10 or more pounds of Dry Rock and a couple pounds of rubble( you have liverock in the tank so the rubble can start off dry also) in the HOB, Ditch the bioballs and the media . While you are waiting for the skimmer just keep up on waterchanges and you will be fine.. :D

Back