Filter Question??

jlr136

Reefing newb
I just put together my first saltwater aquarium. Looks great but I have one small problem. I am using sand and the filter picks up the sand the fish pick up from the bottom and it is sent back out throught the other end and im getting a huge cloud of sand. Any one have any suggestions on how i can fix this.

I had this problem too

I put a filter sponge on the filter intake. Just make sure you clean it every week or so. It will help keep the sand out of the filter. Also, over time, the lighter sand that is easily blown around will get trapped by the sponge and with regular cleanings will be removed from the system. Also did I mention to clean the sponge regulaly:mrgreen:

Hope this helps
Brian

you can also use a marine clearifier to clump the minute particles of detrius and catch them in your filter media. And as mentioned above clean your media regurlarly soon it will stop.

I am running a cascade 1500 in a 95 gallon tank. Thanks for the replies. Will any sponge do or is there a specific one that I should get?

You can find them in the fish section at any pet store. They come in different mesh sizes. I couldn't find one to fit my intake exactly, so I bough a square, cut it to fit around my intake, then secured it with a couple rubber bands.

Back