filter shoots out debris when changing filter

hazelsdad

Reefing newb
I gotta be stupid not to figure this out and is hard to ask but i gotta. Everytime i change my filterpads on my marineland 400 power filter when i turn the filter back on it shoots out all the debris throughout my tank that was in there. I tried doing it with the filter on, same issue. Im stumped and it is annoying this crap outta me not to mention contaminating my tank. Any help would be appreciated BIG TIME!

I guess i would then try and syphon out the detritus that is collecting in there when you do a water change. I dont really know what else to do besides that

You can rinse the filter out when you do the water changes. It'll help keep your nitrates down, and keep the excess debris from getting into the tank.

I agree with little fish...HOB filters are a piece of freshwater equipment, and unless you modify it to be say a fuge, then they become nitrate traps.

i was thinking of going with a canister filter. Any suggestions? I have a 45 Gallon cube tank running a Aquac Remora Skimmer with a maxi jet 1200 also.

I would just go with the skimmer, the canister filter will also become a nitrate trap. The rock in your tank will provide plenty of filtration.

Yep! External filters are a freshwater thing that didnt translate to saltwater very well because of the differences in water quality dynamics.

ill give it a shot and take off the filter and just add another powerhead for more water movement see how it goes. Also on the protein skimmer should the intake be higher or placed lower in the tank. Have an extension i can add to lower it but right now its about 6 in below water surface.

I think it would depend on the type you have, the instructions for mine say to place the intake 1/2" below the water.

Back