filter wont work

prthd

Reefing newb
ok i have a fluvaet 305, i just cleaned it now i cant get it to work. it wont suck water from the tank. any suggestions. i hear it tryint to pump, i primed it

Are all the seals tight?

Thats the one with the quick disconects with the valves right? If so, did you remember to open the valves back up? In my fresh water days, I would forget to open valves again.

yes its the quick disconnect. i opened the valve, it just does not seem like its sealing right, but its closed air tite

It has that little hand pump on top to prime it? Or a place to put water in the top?

Try priming it some more, it might have sucked some air from the hoses?

They don't need the filter at all. A skimmer and live rock is all you need. Filters like that tend to lead to water quality problems down the road anyways.

on the down side of the skimmer, its a instant ocean skimmer. not the best. bought it off a guy when i first started out

ok, well i got it working. but i got a question thats stuck in my head.Biff said filter can cause water issues down the road. can you explain that to me please. i thought filters were a good thing.

You have to keep them clean. Filter media traps detritus and crap, and that stuff rots in the filter. But the water keeps flowing through it, so a lot of that ends up getting washed back out into your tank.

A protein skimmer completely removes that waste from your system (into a cup) so it's not getting washed back into the tank.

If you have a filter, you need to thoroughly clean it frequently, like once a week. Or else you are just leaving all the bad stuff in your system.

Back