Filters/ Protein Skimmers

jayb123

Reefing newb
Could someone explain to me the difference between a skimmer and filter? I am currently doing fish only, I eventually want to do coral later down the road. Do I need both?

You dont need a filter but I think you need a skimmer. A filter catches particals in the water and if not cleaned often will lead to exsess nitrates. A skimmer pull all the exsess nutrients out of the water and airates the water.

The skimmer collects the gunk from the tank in a cup, which you empty out yourself when it fills. It works by mixing air and water and creating a foam. For saltwater tanks, skimmers are much more effective than filters, in my opinion. If you have a good skimmer and enough live rock, you don't need any other filtration equipment.

If you had to choose one or the other than go with a skimmer.A sump/fuge and skimmer would be the ideal set up for a reef tank.

Think of a skimmer as a filter for dissolved gunk in your water.A filter catches the bigger chunks.
But a good cleaner crew will take care of the mechanical part.So a good skimmer is ( IMO ) more important.
On your 55 I would suggest the Corallife Super Skimmers.There not as pricey but do a great job of pulling gunk out.

I don't want to come off as argumentative, but I have heard different opinions on the skimmer. I'm confused now.

The owner of the LFS told me that if your going to run a fish only tank--then a skimmer is good because it pulls out the nitrate causing gunk from the top of the tank.

Then she told me that if your going to have corals and invertebrates--you should never use a skimmer because it's removing the very nutrients that those invertebrates feed on.

I know some of you have been doing these SW tanks for many many years and have a really good handle on whats proper and whats not. I'm a beginner all over again. It's been close to 20yrs since I had a SW tank and it was all cannisters and UG filters back then. Wet/dry was new and mysterious back then. So much has changed.

Could you comment on the skimmer in different applications?
Could you give opinions on the pros and cons of using skimmers with invertebrates? With fish only?

Thanks

A skimmer does pull out stuff that corals and inverts feed on.BUT,if you leave that very same stuff in your water,then you end up with problems.Once it breaks down your biological filter kicks in and starts working harder which produces nitrates.High levels of nitrates( over 10 ) is bad for some corals.A skimmer pulls that stuff out BEFORE it can break down.
I would NEVER try to run a reef aquarium with a skimmer.
Hope I didnt just confuss you more.

Rather fish only or full reef,using a skimmer is still the best way to go.Remember most corals are photo-synthetic and get most of there needs from the light.I turn off the skimmer for several hours when I dose phytoplankton,zooplankton(coral,invert food) so if you think it might be an issue than use the skimmer on a part time basis.

Pros....
removes nutrient
adds additional oxygen

Cons...
removes nutrient
removes trace elements

You may well can have a successful tank without one,but I would never consider it.

As long as you do not overload your system then the water changes will do the job. however, with a 55 you would be maxed out without a skimmer with a couple clowns and an anemone, some live rock, and substrait. a skimmer gives you more forgiveness and helps keep the system oxygenated and removes the protiens/waste in the water. as others have stated you will remove some of the good but it will be very minor with the protein skimmers used on home tanks. water changes will replenish all that is lost. protein skimming is recommended. oh and by the way some corals slough/wax off mucus, skin, chemicals, etc. the protein skimmer will remove most of that protecting the rest of the animals. good luck. pick one person you trust and stick with their formula. there are many opinions out here and no single one is the right one. there are many ways to get there but each process/formula has its pros and cons. good luck.

Back