Finally filling our tank

heatherc369

Reefing newb
Well after fixing the leak in our sump, we rinsed all of the sand pu tit in, filled the tank up and it is now super cloudy :( how long does this usually last? Is it possible i didnt rinse it good enough? at 125 gallons i do not want to have to drain it and refill it :( Should I wait to see if it settles before adding the salt?>:question:

The cloudiness could last several days before it all settles out. I wouldn't worry about it and add your salt now. In the future when doing water changes make sure to mix your salt 24 hours before putting it into the tank.

It will probably be a few days. You know, I rinsed my sand for my 125 a LOT....I totally exfoliated my hands LOL I was like fill with water -- sift -- drain...repeat. I did that like 20 times. Guess what? I still get cloudy water :) But it's not as bad as if I didn't rince it.

Dump it in the sump and let it happen. I would add less then what the measurements are, its easier to add salt then remove water! And when you start testing the salinity remember that it does take at least 24 hours before the salt will be completely dissolved. In this case it may take longer. Good luck! :Cheers:

The intake will be better. The reason for adding it into the sump is to hopefully keep the undissolved salt down where you can see it. If it gets into the main display the sand will hide it and you will not be getting the water flow fast enough to dissolve it quickly.

Good luck and remember when things get rolling we like pics! A build thread is a good place to chronicle your new addiction!

LOL I was going to say you should've mixed it in a large bin first, but then I remembered when I first filled up my 125g, I did mix the salt inside the tank LOL But of course for water changes, I'd mix it in a bin first, then poured it in the tank :) Can't wait to see pics!

Thank you everyone! We will def post pics when it starts to come together! You have all been so helpful and it is much appreciated!!!! It's hard to just play the waiting game now but I'm sure it will all be worth it :)

Back