Finished tank after move

cthegame

Reef enthusiast
So i finally setup my tank again after the move. Here are some pics of the skimmer i made. Its a real beast

PIC_0099.JPG

PIC_0107.JPG

PIC_0102.JPG

hmm thats interesting. Is the skimmer producing results that you are liking?

Its skimming really strong. Still trying to get the adjustments right to get it to skim a little less as my tank is not heavy stocked at all and as dustin mentioned, the collection cup is too small. I need to get a larger cup for it.

The diameter of the neck is what kills that. It's way too narrow and doesn't allow for a good air/water ratio. You can't get enough air into it for the diameter of the body.
Probably better than a SeaClown tho. ;)

The diameter of the neck is what kills that. It's way too narrow and doesn't allow for a good air/water ratio. You can't get enough air into it for the diameter of the body.
Probably better than a SeaClown tho. ;)

What makes you say that? There is plenty of air in there and its over skimming IMO. I can adjust it to have the foam start building up alot lower than then neck. It just depends on how high or low i adjust the water out section

PIC_0108.JPG

But the there is alot of surface area so it needs to have a strong pump that produces alot of bubbles. the neck area is just where the skimate is pushing up if you see in the above pic

Last edited:
here is another one made by someone else. See how the foam is not being built in the neck but much lower, i have yet to adjust mine to start foaming lower. Still playing around with it. I'll take a pic when i have the right setting

100_25721.jpg

What pump are you using in that. Also, where would the pump hook into. If you have a link to build one of these let me know im very interested. How many gallon tank would that skim?

So when they pick up the water jugs and bring new ones, will you have to make a new skimmer? Where did you get the pump? Is it a sedra 9000 like on the website? You should add a bubble plate to the bottom,, and see if that make it even better.

I had that bottle sitting around for years so i just used it. but you can buy them at any water store. Make sure you get the kind without a handle. Also make sure you have the right tools to do the cut on the top part evenly or it will be a bitch to stick it back. The pump should be at least 600gph imo, i need to still order a good one. Main thing for me for now was to get all the cutting and pluming parts done and test it out.

Good idea on the bubble plate.

how can i figure out what size tank this skimmer can handle? The guy on the website has huge tanks so im guessing it will allow me to push my tank to the limits - i wonder how much more it will act up once my bio load increases.

Back