Finished the NEW lighting!

Spaz059

Reefing newb
Alright, well it took a day or two longer than what I expected but I finally finished the first LED light. Next ones we make will not be out of acrylic, but aluminum! This one was purely just for fun.

Attachments

• IMAG0196.jpg
    IMAG0196.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 241
After looking at them more today, they are very bright. It would take a lot for me to switch from my MH/T5HO unit to LEDs after I had such a bad experience with the Solaris fiasco. I just am not confidant that they are equal at this point.

These are the only lights on the tank I think I'm going to add more blue to the next ones It's only a twenty percent amount of blues to white.

There is no build thread for this but I will put up the aluminum ones once they are finished. Solaris is a very unfortunate event but I plan to be very proactive with my customers. Getting feed back to improve the product.

What kind of LEDs did you use? Many of the high powered ones need to be on a heatsink otherwise their life is shortened.

Do you have pics of the actual LED fixture?

Are you using a current or a voltage source?

Are they dimmable?

I realize that some of these questions you might not want to answer since you are trying to start a business on building them, but I have a very inquisitive mind:D

Just to give you an idea for what a kit is going for, here is a link to a place that sells them
http://www.reefledlights.com/led-kits/deluxe-led-kits/

Obviously if you are putting them together for a customer, you need to factor in the time it takes you to build one, but it is best to know the market you are in competition with.

Last edited:
It's a total of 100 half watts, Bridge rectifier is making AC to DC, they could be dimmable if I really wanted them to be. I've been doing research on all this stuff for the last 4 to 6 months. I have a LFS that wants to sell my product already and we haven't even started producing them yet. I'm pretty excited but don't want to get my hopes up till things are well. Thanks for the questions and the link! Oh and by the way they are cree LEDs.

Nice

I have been researching them also since I like learning about new technologies for the fish tank. I have read that if you use a current driver versus a voltage source, you get a more consistant light output. I know that would make it more expensive, but might be worth the cost if the overall quality of the product is better. Just something else to look into.

Thanks man I appreciate all the input, I just want to get this out to the public out here and slowly make improvements, to better our product. But I do appreciate everything.

Back