Fire Fish Pair Divorce?

Kizmar

#derpface
So I've had this pair of Fire Fish in my tank for over 4 months. They were the first fish I put in my tank after the cycle process.

They've been hanging out peacefully together the entire time I've had them... until today. I noticed one of them was swimming in a spot it doesn't usually hang out, and it's fins were battered.

I thought maybe it was the Coral Beauty that beat it up because that's the most "aggressive" fish in my tank. After watching things for a few minutes, I quickly realized that it was the other Fire Fish doing it.

Why would they start fighting now?

Maybe as they matured they just realized they don't like each other? Try to rearrange rocks. If that doesn't work, you might have to remove one.

I was thinking of adding another firefish someday (I have one now). Maybe its not a good idea. Let us know what happens. I guess even fish can like each other at first, then get sick of each other, just like people? Hmmm. He stopped bringing her flowers, she started nagging him about leaving his underwear on the floor and dishes in the sink.

I left them alone to see how things panned out. It appears that the beatings have stopped. They aren't swimming around as a pair any longer. The one that was getting picked on now stays in a different part of the tank.

Weird that they had a falling out, but with your tank size you are probably going to be okay keeping both in the tank if they've found separate territories. Good luck!

Back