Firefish behavior

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
Ok, so I'm still trying to catch one of the firefish (suspect # 1, that nipped off stumpy's dorsal fin). in any case, no luck yet...but now, stumpy was outside of his cave, sitting at the bottom of the tank, not moving...that is, until I stuck a fish net in the tank, then it darted off.

So, is that one of the firefish' behaviors? Just sitting at the bottom, in open water, not really moving. I hope he's not ill. Once he darted off and I fed all the fish, he seemed back to normal and was eating.

I gotta get suspect #1 outta there. I tried the bottle with food trick, but he knows I'm after his a$$. Tomorrow, I will entice him by putting cyclophreeze in the bottle. since cyclo floats better than mysis, maybe it will entice it to go in. If that doesn't work, I really will have to pull all the rocks out :grumble:

He was basking in his victory over you not being able to catch him:D

I've seen them do that when they are the only firefish in the tank.Why? I have no idea.

I did finally catch him...by taking out all the damn rocks :grumble:

But he's now in the 10 gallon. Hope he and the pistol shrimp don't fight!

Ive never heard of a firefish being agressive before. They even say keep a tight lid on the tank because they jump. I know they can, but mine has never displayed that behavior. He always sits in the front of the tank waiting to be fed.

Yeah, I guess because of the whole male-male thing, they get competitive. We'll see how the nipped one does w/o the other one in the tank. I still really don't think it was the clowns, because the clowns don't bother it during feeding, and it only shied away from the other firefish. i just hope the stress from moving rocks, and moving the other fish doesn't kill either of them. At least its long dorsal fin looks like it was growing back.

Back