firefish

reefnoob

Reefing newb
Anyone have any experience with firefish? I want to add some to my tank. Can 3 get along fine? I want them to sorta school cuz I think it would look pretty cool. I heard they are jumpers so are glass tops ok?

They are definatly jumpers, but they tend to do well as long as you have a secure top. It's best to get them in a small group, so three will be fine.

Mesh tops are better than glass tops. Glass tops will block light, accumulate salt creep, increase temperatures and decrease gas exchange.

They are only a requirement if you don't want to lose fish that are known to be jumpers. ;)

I never used any tops (I ran my tank completely open top), but I had to deal with fish that jumped now and then.

If I use a glass top and the fish try to jump, will the glass injure the fish or something? Possibly causing internal injury or something?

The glass top won't hurt them because there isn't much space between the glass and the water level. I have had experience with them a few times, but I've lost all of them to jumping out, so now I have a mesh top that I've replaced from my glass top.

However, the glass top will restrict light to corals, keep in heat and prevent gas exchange and you will have to clean it very frequently to deal with the salt creep. Make a mesh lid, its very simple to do and MUCH better for your tank.

Yes, three is a small group, I'd say. I've heard a couple stories of firefish being aggressive to one another, but honestly that seems really rare. They are such docile fish.

Firefish are jumpers only when stressed. To reduce any stress put many crevese to hide in. three will do fine if in a 40 gallon tank and introduced at the same time!
(Nemateleotris decora) good luck!

Last edited:
Not totally true, they tend to jump when they are frighten or startled, which is impossible to totally eliminate so make sure you have a screen

Back