First Coral Questions

KillerChimps3600

Reefing newb
Hey, well I added my first coral frag 3 days ago its a Green Birdsnest was 10bucks and it just looked so cool I couldn't help myself lol. Was wondering what kind of supplements I should add to make sure its good. So far its still looking good, closes up a little at night and opens up in the light. Also what should I be testing for with corals.

It looks a lot greener in person, I think this pic was right after I added it.
IMG_2009small.jpg

That's an SPS coral, but one of the easier ones :)
Likes Moderate to High Lighting, and Moderate to High Flow.

You should be testing Alk, pH, & Calcium. for adequate coral growth.

You should also be monitoring Nitrate trying to keep it at or near zero.
You need to have zero phosphates also which is detrimental to fish and corals. However phosphate is usually consumed up by algae so it doesn't normally show up on test kits, but can still lead to problems if there is a source.

You won't need to dose much until you get more corals. Regular water changes will keep your levels in check. Your Alk will be used up the fastest tho.

Last edited:
Ok thanks!!
So ill need to get some more test kits oboy haha. My nitrates were between 00 and 5 the day before I added it and I have since done a 2gallon water change but have not checked again.

So really as long as I keep up with water changes, in theory the levels should all be good until I get a few more corals?

Also, don't dose anything you don't test for.

The basics of everything a healthy tank needs are included in any decent salt mixes.

Many people mess up their tanks by adding stuff they shouldn't be adding to it.

I have only two t-5s 48w. I know its not a lot but the girl at the LFS said that as long as I keep it towards the top of the tank it should be ok, so I went for it lol

and yeah I was pretty close today to buying some calcium supplement but thought it would be dumb since I dont have a test for it.

I'm sure that little guy will be ok but you prolly want to look into getting another 2 bulb fixture to go along with that, or better yet get a Halide (150w/70w) and use your 2 bulb fixture to supplement with Actinic lights ;)

Until then you should be fine with LPS or soft corals. Would look into light upgrade before adding more SPS tho.

Yeah I do plan on getting some more light or a new light within the year I hope. Yeah my plan until then was just to keep softies and some LPS but I knew I loved the birdsnests and well seeing it in person I couldn't stop myself haha
Next on the list is a frogspawn in hopes my Clowns might host with it, we will see.

Thanks for the help!

Back