first corals.....finally.

phuture1

Reefing newb
hey guys. i picked up some Zoas at a lfs. i have them in the tank for three days now. they don't seem to be opening up all the way. does anyone know if this is normal or not?

they were open in the store. i have 168watts of t5 lighting on them with a moderate flow across them. what do you think?

they were open in the store. i have 168watts of t5 lighting on them with a moderate flow across them. what do you think?

Some zoa's can be a little more sensitive but that's a while. How did you acclimate them? Try putting them lower in the tank if they are high up. Maybe move them - they may not like where they are....

Other than that, check your params, make sure everything is good.

ok guys.. i did a freshwater dip on my zoas. had about 10 to 15 little wormy things in them. i don't think these guys are going to make it. what should i be looking for as far as die off?

They just shrivle upand melt away.But I wouldnt count em out just yet.You can still save em from the nudis.
Just repeat the freshwater dip and then give em a lugols soak.The combination of the freshwater and the lugols iodine,if done on a regular basis will eventually kill the nudis.You just gotta keep up and either remove the nudis egg sacks,or keep rinsing untill the all the nudis are gone.

thanks Yote.. how often should i fresh water dip these guys and for how long? here are some pics............

Attachments

• 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 268
  • 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 273
  • 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 295
They don't look like they're melting. What kind of light were they under at the LFS? Try lowering them to the sand in a less light area and see if they open. Might just be getting too much light too fast.

Are we sure they have nudis? Could have been amphipods crawling out of the corals in the freshwater bath?

If it's nudis, I would research the life cycle. Find out how long it takes them to produce a new generation. Then get in on the life cycle and kill the next 5 or 6 generations by repeatedly doing the dips. Of course, they will be dead after 2 or 3 generations. But continued treatment will assure 100% eradication. You could have stragglers in the tank that have not yet discovered your zoas. The little buggers can't be killed in the tank. You gotta catch 'em on the coral and dip to kill. I've heard these can be tough to kill. So be prepared for a solid battle.

Be diligent and good luck!

But are you sure it's nudis?

hi everyone. i just wanted to post a quick update on my zoas. well, i lost a good part of the colony. i'm glad to say that the ones that did survive are looking pretty good. they don't really have any color to them. i'm going to post a pic. or two. tell me what you guys think.

Attachments

• DSC01619.jpg
    DSC01619.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC01620.jpg
    DSC01620.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC01621.jpg
    DSC01621.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
You know, that's probably the color they will stay in your tank :( Corals will change their colors depending on the lighting and water conditions, so if they have turned brown in yours, that's probably how they're gonna stay. It sucks, I know.

Back