First Flood!

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Well, I've now had my first decent sized flood. Came into work this morning and discovered that my return line started leaking over night around the point where my plumbing curves over the top of the tank. Water is all through my stand and carpet around (and probably under) the stand. :grumble: I used quite a bit of teflon tape when I connected the threaded male/female parts (as recommended by both my LFS and home depot), but didn't use the pcv softener or sealent. I didn't think I needed to use the softener/sealent on the threaded parts, just the teflon tape. What's the best way for me to fix it? Use more teflon tape? Use sealers? Both? Also, any ideas on what I can do to prevent salt creep on my office carpet? (it's old ugly carpet any way so not a huge deal, but still....)

You could try re-sealing the threads with liquid teflon. Its similar to the tape, but it works better at sealing threads. I just used some last night to fix a fitting that was giving me micro bubbles in my tank. My cousin suggested it over the teflon tape and it worked a lot better

Thanks North, I'll look into that! Was it hard to use?

Also, I've got some chaeto and live rock in my sump, but now have the pump off so its not getting flow (and the temp will drop within a few hours) - should I move it back to my DT or just add a powerhead and heater to the sump until I can get the return line fixed (probably this weekend)?

This is actually common misconception with teflon, the purpose is really to act as a lubricant to screw threading in better which in turn typically helps make a better seal.

This is actually common misconception with teflon, the purpose is really to act as a lubricant to screw threading in better which in turn typically helps make a better seal.

And the better seal in turn prevents leaks.....

My dad has been a hydrolic engineer for 30+ years, and he has always said use teflon on any threaded fittings for any of the around the house projects I've done

FishyReef - Liquid Teflon is no harder to use than the tape, in fact its actually easier. If you wrap the tape the wrong way, when you thread the fitting you can pull the tape off, the liquid doesn't work like that. You apply a little and work it into the thread with your fingers and you call it a day

Thanks everyone. I went to a hardware shop over lunch and found what I am hoping is liquid teflon. It was in the same section as the teflon tape and is called "pipe thread compound TFE paste" - they had a larger can that had the same name but also had a brush in the can to brush it on with. I went with the paste in the smaller tube instead. I won't have a chance to actually play around with it until tomorrow night at the earliest, but more likely it will be this weekend. I moved my chaeto and rock rubble back to my DT for the time being until the sump is running again. Once I've got the plumbing fixed, can I just turn on my pumps again and proceed as normal, or do I need to change out the water in my sump since it will have been sitting for a few days?

The water will be fine, but i would check and make sure the stuff you bought is aquarium safe and it might have to cure for a few days

Yeah, that's the one piece of info I couldn't find. It has clear instructions not to ingest it and what to do if it is ingested, but nothing about use for potable water. It has the same description as the teflon tape though. It doesn't list a time frame for how long it takes to set, more or less just lists as slow-curing. I plan to let it sit at least a few days before starting up my sump again though. I might stop at home depot as well to see if they have something better (though I haven't had much luck when I ask them about stuff that is safe for potable water in the past). In the mean time, I now feel like I'm a full-fledged reefer now that I've had a real flood LOL

hahaha, yes you can have your reefing badge now!

And try a google search on the product and aquariums, im sure you arent the first to try and use it

Back