First livestock

ChappyChap

Reefing newb
So I kinda broke parameters here but I started with my first live stock. Ammonia was at zero as well as nitrite for a few days. I tested nitrate and was getting low readings so I took some to the lfs to have it double checked. Everything looked good and he said I could start with a couple occelaris clowns and some hermits and snails so I did. They've been in the tank and doing well for about 10 hrs. I'll keep testing daily and make sure everything stays gravy. In my tank, as it gets more established, I was wondering what would be some good other inverts? Like a starfish, shrimp, do I have enough light (6 bulb t5 ho) to do a clam and anemone? Other than the clowns(if I keep them I already have two in the smaller tank) I was thinking a Pygmy cherub angel or flame angel, a goby, a Tanakas Pygmy wrasse, a dotty back, and maybe something else? I'd really love to be able to do a wonderful reef tank with some colorful safe fish and inverts. Just a nice variety of life. What other kinds of equipment would be necessary? I'm thinking of doing a refugium, but what about dosing pumps or other things I'm not exactly familiar with other stuff. They have a similar 70 gallon cube I was thinking of doing once I downsize my reptile collection. I'd love to be able to do a larger reef tank once I figure this all out a bit more.

Your nitrate will probably sit around 5-10 for a while, it's nothing to worry about, as long as your ammonia and nitrite are at zero. Your fish will not be bothered by small amounts of nitrate. Make sure your clowns do not fight. Starfish are extremely difficult to keep, and really are expert only, requiring a profoundly established system with many different established populations of food in the water column. You may be okay with a low light clam. Both clams and amemone require high amounts of light.

two clowns in a 12 gallon is fully stocked. you really can't add more fish without hurting the water quality, and there is likely to be territory battles in such a small space.

The cherub dwarf angel isnt one of the more reef safe angels, so you should keep that in mind. With the two clowns and the three other fish you have listed, I would say that is pretty full stocking list for your tank until its get well established, but maybe consider adding a goby or blenny once the tank has been set up for a year or so.

6 T5 bulbs will let you keep anything you want, but I would start with soft corals and LPS corals. They tend to do better in the "dirtier" and less stable new tanks. Then once the tank has settle out, then you can think about adding clams, nems and SPS.

Flame angels (or any dwarf angel, really) can be prone to nip at LPS/Clam Mantles. It is 50/50, but if you get one that leaves well enough alone, they are wonderful fish.

How bout one from the Lps/sps propagation tank at the store? They also said I could get one of their smaller blue tangs to bring back when he got big or move to a bigger tank if I do that.

A blue tang needs an 8 foot tank to have adequate swimming room. I would advise against it. A flame from their LPS tank would probably do okay.

Yeah I'm going flame angel, dottybacks, reef safe wrasse, fire shrimp, and eventually a blue clam and anemone. Since I just added my first live stock do I need to do a 10 or 20% water change?

Back