First nano in the making!

G_Beck_87

Reefing newb
Me and my g/f just set up our first nano in the making, im pretty satisfied with it thus far have a lot of ideas with what i'm gunna do with the tank. Let me know what you think
mdrbig.gif

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 724
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 328
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 414
This is the Bio cube 29G, for your mini what size power heads do u run? and where would u suggest i put it in my tank to best optimize it's flow.

I am currently running a Hydor at 750gph, a stock powerhead at 250gph and the return from my skimmer (uses a maxijet 1200) around 250gph.

I don't think I have enough flow. I am currently saving for Vortech MP10 and will be adding that along with the 250gph powerhead (which mainly runs behind the rock work to keep detrius from settling there).

Pics? i just know i wanna make better flow for my corals i just dont know what would be best and what i should get. all i have is stock return. isn't there a hydor that hooks up to the stock return?

Nah they make stand alone powerheads.

It really depends on how much you want to spend. You could get a couple Hydors (they make various sizes) or you could look into the ecotech marine vortech mp10 (~$235 but well worth it if you have the money).

You want to be turning over 30x your tank volume per hour or more. The stock return on the biocube 29 is only rated at around 250gph if I remember correctly...so you'll want to add at least 620gph more to your tank....maybe more depending on the flow rates and where you position them.

Awesome ya ive been looking for a hydor 750 for now, i cant come to terms spending 240 bucks on an mp10 right now. which i think the 750 should be fine for now til i get a lot more coral. then i might be willing to cough out the dough for the MP10. which is amazing.

Thanks alot ya ive wanted to downsize to a smaller tank when i moved out i just had absolutely no room in my apt for my 55g so i thought the next best thing to do is downsize and start my first nano.

another question i have is if i dont have the money to fork out for the rapid LED retro fit, but want my corals and fish to pop more do u suggest replacing the stock white PC with the blue actinic? or getting a couple Coralife blue LED bars that they have slots for on my BC 29.

How many bulbs are in the fixture? If there are more than one you can replace one bulb with an actinic bulb, but the actinic bulb while it makes the colors pop, doesnt give great energy to the corals for growing

it has 2 PC bulbs in it one white one blue i programmed reef keeper to have the blue to come from 9-11 and then the white kicks on they both stay on til 7 and the white turns off and blue from 7-9. i like the way my blue lights in my 55g made the fish and coral pop but yes it wasnt strong enough to make my polyps and frogspawn grow.
I'm open for lighting suggestions so let me know :)

well, personally I would wait and save until you can afford to make a quality upgrade, otherwise you are just going to end up buying stuff twice

Back