First SPS

ph33nyx

Reefing newb
I traded a 70w JBJ K2 Viper today for some SPS corals. The guy gave me a 3-4" piece of green orange birdsnest, green birdsnest, birds of paradise, and an orange digitata. I thought it was a pretty good deal, but is there anything I need to look out for since these are my first SPS?

Make sure your calcium, alkalinity, salinity and temperature stay in the right range. They are sensitive to swings in anything. Phosphates need to be at zero, and nitrates very low as well.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Well here you go Mr. Diggler......

EB091015.JPG

EB091016.JPG

EB091017.JPG

EB091018.JPG

remember if tests come back that your tank needs dosing be sure to use only what you are testing for..alot of products have different additives in them that should keep other params such as magnesium at levels that would coincide with what you are dosing, such as calcium. if or when you do dose make sure to test for whatever other chemical is added...

Make sure your calcium, alkalinity, salinity and temperature stay in the right range. They are sensitive to swings in anything. Phosphates need to be at zero, and nitrates very low as well.

Thanks...
I went out and bought an API reef master kit today. The results were:
Ca - 460
KH - 9
PO4 - dk...it was a pale yellow and there was no color chart
NO3 - this was an odd one. My saltwater kit looked between 0 & 5, but the reef kit read 40

I have no idea which nitrate to go off of. I know one is ok, but the other is too high.

Back