First Sump design

bruster45

Reefing newb
I'm going to do away with the last baffle and also make a 6x6 section for the intake to hold a filter sock in the skimmer chamber. this is in a 20 gal high first glass will be 13 inches tall the other two 11 inches tall.

It’s not bad for a first attempt, the first baffle at the intake is doing nothing for you, you can leave it out. Or you can move it next to the 13” baffle so the water leaving the skimmer area would go under it then over the next to the fudge. This will help with removing the proteins in the water as they tend to float at the top the baffle will keep them in the skimmer area longer. There’s no harm in having the filter sock and inlet in the same area as the skimmer. Remember the smaller the area for the return pump the larger the chance for the pump to run dry. All your evaporation loss will happen in the return chamber.

It’s not bad for a first attempt, the first baffle at the intake is doing nothing for you, you can leave it out. Or you can move it next to the 13” baffle so the water leaving the skimmer area would go under it then over the next to the fudge. This will help with removing the proteins in the water as they tend to float at the top the baffle will keep them in the skimmer area longer. There’s no harm in having the filter sock and inlet in the same area as the skimmer. Remember the smaller the area for the return pump the larger the chance for the pump to run dry. All your evaporation loss will happen in the return chamber.
looking at it after I got off work I was considering shortening the baffles to 10 but raising the one at the refugiun an inch or so. the sock filter will be more of a box at the back but raised up as well so water passes under.

That would work too I recently did two sump builds out of pvc sheet stock based on a two tiger system sumps they co7ld both be modified to a 20 gallon. What are you using for an overflow/ drain?

Back